First round of Skeet

nicknsd1978

Had my first 2 rounds of skeet today after having lessons. Scored 10 on the first round and then 15 on the second round. The pairs were on report......I don't mind saying I was as nervous as hell. On the first round my mind went completely blank as to where I was supposed to be aiming & shooting etc. was actually supposed to be having a practice session on my own but didn't quite work out that way.....how do you think I did? I'm hoping things will become easier with practice

Not a direct answer to your question I know, but the skeet range is the best place to learn clay shooting. My advice would be:- take good instruction and don't venture away from the skeet range until you can shoot 20+ on a round consistently. Apart from the pair on station 4 there is loads of time on every target.

Enjoy.

I found that the birds were coming very quick....should I move my aim point out wards or inwards to give myself longer to study the bird before trying to follow it?

I was taught to shoot skeet on the rule of thirds. Hold a third of the way from the trap house to the hoop. Mount your gun into the hoop and swing back.

Feet are more important than hold point though. I know when my feet are in the wrong place now, I can feel it. It restricts my swing. Going out with my skeet coach is awesome because there is always someone struggling with a stand and she'll suggest something - usually involving foot position - and it works. If we shoot Northampton we have to allow at least half an hour for her to catch up with random grateful people.

Skeet is great for learning how to use your gun rather than just where to point it.

I love skeet and find it hugely addictive, "just one more round"...

When I started out (and still do every now and then) I shoot each stand as singles. All the high birds 1-8 then all the low birds from stand 8 back to 1.

I found this a great way to start building muscle memory and sight pictures. Was also told to point your belt buckle at the low house on every stand which will sort feet position. Never hit a bird on stand 8 though :D

I love skeet and find it hugely addictive, "just one more round"...

When I started out (and still do every now and then) I shoot each stand as singles. All the high birds 1-8 then all the low birds from stand 8 back to 1.

I found this a great way to start building muscle memory and sight pictures. Was also told to point your belt buckle at the low house on every stand which will sort feet position. Never hit a bird on stand 8 though :D

On EVERY stand?

I really dislike skeet, much prefer either sporting or real live pigeons, my first attempt at skeet resulted in a 4, the second just 12, it didn't help I had 1/2 and 3/4 chokes in 28 inch barrels, the clays are much too close for me, but having said that,these days I teach youngsters ( and a few oldies ) to shoot and I take them to the local skeet range because the clay always flies an identical track each time, which is ideal for beginners trying to shoot clays, open chokes and light loads , you should hit a few, my last round on the skeet showing off for a couple of my students was 23 but it was an exceptional day, I wont say what I normally hit, just practice practice practice, oh and don't forget to take plenty of cash with you cause it ain't cheap!, pigeons are free. :yahoo::yahoo:

I really dislike skeet, much prefer either sporting or real live pigeons, my first attempt at skeet resulted in a 4, the second just 12, it didn't help I had 1/2 and 3/4 chokes in 28 inch barrels, the clays are much too close for me, but having said that,these days I teach youngsters ( and a few oldies ) to shoot and I take them to the local skeet range because the clay always flies an identical track each time, which is ideal for beginners trying to shoot clays, open chokes and light loads , you should hit a few, my last round on the skeet showing off for a couple of my students was 23 but it was an exceptional day, I wont say what I normally hit, just practice practice practice, oh and don't forget to take plenty of cash with you cause it ain't cheap!, pigeons are free. :yahoo::yahoo:

Do you dislike skeet because you are not very good at it? I wouldn't teach youngsters skeet unless I was good at it.

The clays are too close? My objective when decoying is to get the pigeons that close.

My first 2 lessons involved the skeet stand quite a bit. I love skeet and still practice on it. As ive said on here before I was told that 80% of sporting targets resemble at least one skeet station. It has served me pretty well to date.

I was taught the same regarding the belt buckle towards the low tower on skeet. No sure it applies to all stations.

But there is you tube videos out there regarding all stations on skeet that will give you a few pointers.

Keep up the practice when it comes together its a fantastic feeling.

skeet is fantastic place to start,you will learn lead and consistency better on a skeet ground than anywhere else.After a while you will either become addicted to it or bored.Go around with a squad,ideally with some experienced skeet shooters,you will soon see pick up points/where to make the breaks etc and all will be able & happy to give you some advice.If after half a dozen rounds you are not breaking 18+ book 1/2 hour with an instructor and do 3/.4 rounds with him/her. After a while you will see skeet as more of a mental/concentration game than a 'fun' shooting format..at this point you will go to sporting...most do!

If as you state you coach people I cannot really see the point in saying you dislike skeet......as it somewhat contradicts your next point of where to start!! Whilst pigeons are free they sure ain't the place to start.....

Skeet is easy, its the mental concentration that makes it hard (in competition anyway), you eventually get to the point where you can hit every target presentation on the field, and you have done so 1000's of times....but hitting all of them in a row is the hard bit lol.

As for belly button in the low house, yes that works as a good basis but only for a right hander (left handed would be the high house window obviously)....and not on every station, you wont hit a thing on station seven otherwise as a right hander, lol

Hold your gun a 1/3 of the way out from the house to the centre stake, hold vertically in line with the bottom of the window and try to break every target on your side of the field (except for the pair on 4).

And stop cheating shooting pairs on report ( :lol: joke!)

Edited by Gee.