Useless Burgers - ideas wanted

malkiserow

Yes - Don't use one, they are a waste of time and energy. They are the snap caps of the food world!!!!

Mix your mince/chopped meat up and make them into little balls - Once your balls are lovely little spheres, give 'em a whack with the palm of your hand and hey presto, you made a meatball into a burger!!

Make thin ones for the kids and ladies and give the men a fatter burger where you can cook it a little rarer in the middle.

Use good mince, onions and onion salt if you can get it and mess about with the ingredients.

If you can, get your butcher to give you a pound of best mince and mix it up with a pound of coarsely minced ribeye, finely chopped onion, onion and garlic salt and pepper and a thin slice of foie gras in the middle. Cook it rare with a slice of Emmental just melting on the top and get some brioche buns, toasted a little to plonk it in with some beer caramelised onions - Delicious!

Oh, one last thing. Tomato and lettuce are garnish - Put them on the side and not in the burger!

Having said all that, if you really want to get in touch with your feminine side and buy snap caps a burger press, Lakeland do a nice one with lots of cellophane burger dividers as well.

Yes - Don't use one, they are a waste of time and energy. They are the snap caps of the food world!!!!

Mix your mince/chopped meat up and make them into little balls - Once your balls are lovely little spheres, give 'em a whack with the palm of your hand and hey presto, you made a meatball into a burger!!

Make thin ones for the kids and ladies and give the men a fatter burger where you can cook it a little rarer in the middle.

Use good mince, onions and onion salt if you can get it and mess about with the ingredients.

If you can, get your butcher to give you a pound of best mince and mix it up with a pound of coarsely minced ribeye, finely chopped onion, onion and garlic salt and pepper and a thin slice of foie gras in the middle. Cook it rare with a slice of Emmental just melting on the top and get some brioche buns, toasted a little to plonk it in with some beer caramelised onions - Delicious!

Oh, one last thing. Tomato and lettuce are garnish - Put them on the side and not in the burger!

Having said all that, if you really want to get in touch with your feminine side and buy snap caps a burger press, Lakeland do a nice one with lots of cellophane burger dividers as well.

Thanks for that comprehensive answer.... The meat is game of various sorts from my own butchery ..... pigeon, rabbit, pheasant and venison in the main. I though salt was a NO NO in burgers so as to keep them together as game has such little fat ?

Thanks for that comprehensive answer.... The meat is game of various sorts from my own butchery ..... pigeon, rabbit, pheasant and venison in the main. I though salt was a NO NO in burgers so as to keep them together as game has such little fat ?

If i was going to do a game burger, i'd use something like 1/3rd pork mince or other source of fat to keep it moist. If you're using pigeon, rabbit and pheasant, that's 3 meats with 3 different cooking times (although minced up that might be a moot point) - I've never done one using game so can't comment (Stealth Stalker might be the man for this one) - Will try to have a go this weekend. as we have a shoot barbie

As far as the salt goes, i use it all the time in beef, pork, lamb and chicken when i make them up.

you might find raw egg would bind the mix or how about bacon fat finely diced to add a bit more fat and flavour, agree with fatcatsplat just shape the ball to suit,

I loved the southessex recipe though innit, foie gras, emmental, beer caramalised onion, brioche buns (homemade I hope) things have changed in Essex in the last 30yrs

If i was going to do a game burger, i'd use something like 1/3rd pork mince or other source of fat to keep it moist. If you're using pigeon, rabbit and pheasant, that's 3 meats with 3 different cooking times (although minced up that might be a moot point) - I've never done one using game so can't comment (Stealth Stalker might be the man for this one) - Will try to have a go this weekend. as we have a shoot barbie

As far as the salt goes, i use it all the time in beef, pork, lamb and chicken when i make them up.

Just to clarify, I don't mix the game types, just use all of them at different times/seasons

all you will ever need

http://www.scobiesdirect.com/iteminfo.asp?ItemNo=MS00047

colin

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Puregadgets%C2%A9-Hamburger-Quarter-Pounder-Barbecue/dp/B00IBFFNGM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1411396886&sr=8-3&keywords=burger+press

this is the one from the butchery demo

but the 1st link i put up is the one we use at work and will out last you

Edited by colin lad

Yep, that's what we all use too. You can knock out a hundred burgers in no time once you get the knack down. You'll also need some of these though.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/151129466911?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0

Put them down in rows for the base, pop your meat on using a large ice cream scoop or an 1/2 cup measure (what I use) and you get 4-5oz burgers every time. Then, once each disc has a blob of meat on, place another plastic sheet over the top and press away.

Edited by mick miller