What Cartridges to buy for Novice?

nicknsd1978

I'm thinking of a silver pigeon which has an inertia trigger system.... I was told that this wouldn't work consistently with anything below 28g.....is that right?

My SP (several years old) works fine with 21g Hull Comp-X cartridges. It also works with 16g 28ga cartridges using an adapter - so I think you've been told BS

Cheap and soft shooting ones, brand don't matter- try a box of 25 of a few before you commit

Kent got it absolutely spot on in #2. Brand matters not a jot at this stage of your shooting, only three things to consider in my view in this order;

Acceptable recoil (soft on the shoulder)

Availability, no use liking something that is not available locally and reliably

Price, once the above two are ticked off then go for the cheapest cos you certainly won't break any more with the dearest!

For skeet I would go for either 8 or 9 shot and if you aren't suffering recoil then use 28g, plastic wad. Why hamper yourself with less shot in the pattern.

Mr Potter

I was using some 21g Hulls the weekend before on my first unaccompanied outing in my new Lanber. I had a couple of occasions where the second shot wouldn't fire.

Is that a combination to do with me not having a solid mount and the recoil not being enough to reset it correctly for the second shot?

I was using some 21g Hulls the weekend before on my first unaccompanied outing in my new Lanber. I had a couple of occasions where the second shot wouldn't fire.

Is that a combination to do with me not having a solid mount and the recoil not being enough to reset it correctly for the second shot?

Interesting my brother was having the same problem with his used Lanber. First barrel firing but need a tap on the ground to engage the second barrel. He has given it a good clean and we are waiting for another chance to try it!

Interesting my brother was having the same problem with his used Lanber. First barrel firing but need a tap on the ground to engage the second barrel. He has given it a good clean and we are waiting for another chance to try it!

Tap on the ground with a live round in the chamber?

didn't really explain that very well. The first round fires then, like with snap caps, you need to tap the but gently and then it engages the second barrel. we do keep our heads clear :blush:

Still not a great idea and dangerous....... either use carts with a bit more oomph eley or express 21g may do it or try 24g....

didn't really explain that very well. The first round fires then, like with snap caps, you need to tap the but gently and then it engages the second barrel. we do keep our heads clear :blush:

If that goes wrong it will clear your head permanently.

I urge you and your brother to stop, buy some punchier cartridges or take it to a gunsmiths.