Route 66

digger

Did half of it in 1987 but got bad food poisoning and had to abandon it... 3 others of the party completed it in a hired 350 small block chevy. I got as far as Amarillo and got a greyhound the rest of the way...not quite the same but I did it one way or another....

My Brother did it two years ago on a BMW tourer and spent some time in each major city...Mind ,you he's minted and doesn't need to work like the rest of us.

My mate and I want to do it on Harley's, our sticking point is neither of us having a bike licence :(

A consultant I once done work for has done it on Harley's with his brother, they both loved it and were both getting on in age.

Wife is wanting to do it all in a two to three week trip, bit much but havnt ruled it out. Would like a big old 50's caddy or similar to drive though as you would be sat in it for a long time each day.

Figgy

The Route 66 thing is on my bucket list.It's the taking 2 months off work and leaving the wife and kids behind that's the sticking point :lol:

You going to walk the route or cycle it. Two months!

Figgy

I was watching henry off the motorbike show on the travel channel riding a Harley chop down 66 it was not as simple as you would think as the road would just stop every now and then and he had to go on to the interstate highway that runs by the side of it and it is not the same riding on a moterway although they are slowly trying to remake the missing bits but there shore are some strange people that live in towns by that road.

did it in 2000 in a mustang.cracking road/coastline.Take her and stay at Madonna INN in Puiz St Pebo(or something like that)it is amazing motel,with all rooms done up after film characters/disney themed.stayed in flintstones room.......had a cave for a shower which would take about 6 folk if you wished!! also has a dracula room where the bed is massive coffin.Thye also own beef ranch and are famed for their steaks....if you are into golf take clubs too...golf around Carmel is fantastic..Spanish Bay/Pebble beach etc.....weather changes in 10 minutes,from hot roof off to/low clouds/no visibilty/rain....just do it...memorable.

This is something that has been on my list to do for many years but when I retire. I have always fancied travelling in a huge winnibego (can't spell) or on a three wheeler motorbike as I don't think I could manage a two wheeler. By the time I get to retire I will probably be too old.

This is something that has been on my list to do for many years but when I retire. I have always fancied travelling in a huge winnibego (can't spell) or on a three wheeler motorbike as I don't think I could manage a two wheeler. By the time I get to retire I will probably be too old.

Do it now. I planned to do all sorts of stuff when I retired including a lot more hiking. Bad feet and joints stopped that. Still get out and about, thanks to the trusty Tramper, but it is not the same as hiking up a rough hill path and seeing the view from the top.

A good friend of mine did the US West Coast from Alaska down to Mexico on a bicycle aged 21. After that he started the Australian coast but quickly decided that doing the all Australian coast was better done with an engine and bought a motorcycle. All in all it took a few years to complete these trips as he had to earn some cash as he went and girls he met slowed him down a bit along the way.

He ended up marrying a Danish doctor he met on one of the trips, he is now settled in the US and got kids etc.

Wasn't there a Billy Connoly series where he did just that?

:shaun:

Just remember women always fall for bull **** :) , i suggest doing no research and just winging it :whistling:

I am sure I am right in saying that large parts of the 66 are now freeway and some of the orginal parts are just dirt roads. I guess there must still be towns that make a living from the 66 ans offer loads to see and do, its something i will do one day.

Edited by rimfire4969