gunshots and horses

barley

went crow shooting with my dad on the weekend set up about 5-6 hundred meters away frim a horse paddock first few shots got two kills and two misses but a lot in the erea floating around bout twenty minutes later just got into full flow wen a man came across our field to our hide saying we were making his horses jump and run around like mad and wed have to pack up or see police. so we phoned the farmer he said carry on. despite there threats we did ended on 76 rooks and crows. it amazes me how petty people can be towards honest shooters. surely getting a horse used to gunshots has to be a good thing because the ******* things are suicidle on the roads

On one of my permissions I have a riding stable over the boundary.After meeting the owner out of courtesy, we agreed I would text her when I was shooting nearby, and she would make sure she kept the horses away from the boundary field. Perhaps you just got off on the wrong foot, or perhaps he's one of those people that just want to spoil another mans sport.

I am surprised that horses that far away were so twitchy.Clearly you were/are within your rights to shoot,for the sake of neighbourly harmony could you have found another decent spot to shoot bit further away?..certainly some thoroughbreds/racing horses can be a bit skitty and owners/trainers a bit precious..but looking at it from their point of view I always try and avoid to upsetting horses as they can do themselves harm if they go a bit mad.If you are going to shoot same spot again it would be polite,although I accept not a legal necessity,to let the horse owners know so they have the opportunity of stabling/moving their horses?

Perfectly within you rights as I see it but was it right? dunno it wasn't me and I don't know anything more of the situation than decribed but I will say politeness counts at times especially at these times when we don't want to make more enemies against shooting.

There are those who will complain about farmers making the fields near their homes smell by spreading fertiliser though, we all need to live together. The guy sounds well out of order to come across and "instruct" you as described though I must say.

We have three permissions blighted by horses moving close by. The Farmers say carry on but the horse owners are all anti shooting. At my wife's stables they ask me to go and put a few shots up to make the riding school horses bomb proof. I've spoken to a few Farmers and they are concerned that horse people go to Land auctions and by A1 land and turn it to grass for horses and then complain against crop protection around them With regard to shooting and gas guns. The only solution is that we all shoot Hushpower moderated guns.

I find horses are indifferent to gunfire. The owners of horses seem not to be.

When I had a complaint about my shooting upsetting a couple of horses, it was the wind direction and the strength of it rather than the distance I was away from the paddock as I have shot closer without any problems . and on this day I was over 300yds away but the wind was strong and blowing in there direction, as it was nearly time to pack up I called it a day as I do a lot of shooting it that area and I didn't want to upset anyone . As the barley was only a few days off from being combined I didn't go on there again , but I did see the lady who was o k and I told her if I was near her horses again I would let her know first and we left it at that.

I find horses are indifferent to gunfire. The owners of horses seem not to be.

Agreed. A friend of ours bought an ex-racehorse last year, had one post-racing owner before then, who told her that it was incredibly skittish, hated noise, etc. When it arrived, didn't seem too bad with people close by chatting, even the occasional hand clap didn't make it twitch.

Started off just using an air rifle in there if rabbiting, no reaction at all, so moved on to moderated 410. The only reaction I got was curiosity, after a shot, it would wander over to see what was going on, then go back to grazing.

Two weeks after that, I was using a 12 bore in the field with it. Absolutely fine.

I've also helped out at a stables, similar to how pigeon controller posted. With just a little bit of effort, you can make a horse - ANY horse, virtually indifferent to gunshots. An essential attribute if they're going to be ridden on roads, with traffic appearing out of nowhere.

Rabbit holes in horse fields can soon break a horses leg if it puts its hoof down one when running about as they do. You would think they would want anything like that clearing.

But lots of horse owners are women, lots of them seem to be another breed apart from regular girls. Being rational becomes history. A good argument with a gun owner is a rite of passage for some.

I know one who cracked her whip many times over a car roof of a fella she took to dislike to from the fields, what she did not know was that he was a deputy chief constable ......... Oh how we laughed at her after she gave him a monster mouthful of verbal abuse while he politely listened. He later told her who he was and that he had very good firearms experience and had passed advanced driving skills.

She skulked off..........

But lots of horse owners are women, lots of them seem to be another breed apart from regular girls. Being rational becomes history. A good argument with a gun owner is a rite of passage for some.

I know one who cracked her whip many times over a car roof of a fella she took to dislike to from the fields, what she did not know was that he was a deputy chief constable ......... Oh how we laughed at her after she gave him a monster mouthful of verbal abuse while he politely listened. He later told her who he was and that he had very good firearms experience and had passed advanced driving skills.

She skulked off..........

I bet she did something like it again - these people seem to be serial offenders when it comes to shooting sports and shoots in general - could be just my experience but they never seem to give up !

Maybe the shooters should ask them how they thought the cowboys managed. They were riding when they did the shooting.

Wasn't that easy though. George Armstrong Custer shot and killed his horse first time he tried it with a rifle apparantly. Though I think he may have been a touch accident prone...

Edited by TriBsa

Ok I understand, we are very open here......

I can see you have a problem with memory. :)

Because you have seen my profile.

Wasn't that easy though. George Armstrong Custer shot and killed his horse first time he tried it with a rifle apparantly. Though I think he may have been a touch accident prone...

Probably trying to do a William Tell between its ears.

Never had a problem with horses but when shooting near them I keep an eye for how they respond to the first few shots to check they are not spooked. Set-up to an adjacent field to a livery yard recently with about 30 horses in the next field (about 100 yards to fence). Not one of them showed any reaction. Best to be considerate if any horses are skittish and at least advise when next shooting nearby so they can move/stable them.

Two of the farms that I shoot have paddocks and I have shot them from literally up against the fence never bothered the horses at all . Mind you I think if they complained my farmer friend would be giving them notice . When I set up near any live stock I will put a shot up in the direction that I will be shooting . Just to see how the live stock react .Never had any problem at all with any any live stock being perturbed by gun shot .

Harnser

Edited by Harnser