gunshots and horses

barley

We fitted a jet engine from a wasp helicopter into the back of a vauxhall Astra estate and tested it on a friends farm a few years back, we were worried about the noise of the afterburner bothering the horses but after a few bursts and bangs we had to abandon the test as the horses got inquisitive and wouldn't leave us alone, and for anybody who is wondering the weight of the jet engine actually made the tired old Astra slower over the 1/4 mile by about 2 seconds

I have found that gunfire isn't really a problem however beaters nearby using flags is a different st

I once put plastic bags on my magnet to scare pigeons off one field. Unfortunately the horses that could see in from quite a distance also hated it and ran all around the field kicking up a fuss. I had a few horse owners having a go at me that day.

There is only one thing worse than a horse and that's the woman riding it! Or so they say in Suffolk.

The Memsahib and myself used to breed horses. Arabs, and they are about the spookiest thing on this planet. But they all got used to gunfire from the clay shooting setup that I had in one of the paddocks. Never bothered with it except out of curiosity.

On the shoot that I run at the moment one of our main drives incorporates two adjacent properties that both have horses - about six in total. They have got so used to us banging about that they come and nudge the back gun who ends up in one of the paddocks.

No doubt some horses, like dogs, never get used to loud noises but I think it is the owners who get more excited. In any case they are only going to dance around the field a bit (again probably the owners rather than the nags). Extremely unlikely to get so frightened that they jump out or crash through the fence.

Go have a word with him and set up a trial. You shoot and he soothes the nags till they get used to it.

Go have a word with him and set up a trial. You shoot and he soothes the nags till they get used to it.

That's the problem though, it is the owner upsetting them rather than the guns.

You shoot and him beggar off out of the way is the answer.

You can shoot from horseback if you want to, as in all the cowboy and cavalry films show. Usually the horse is only really bothered if there is someone there that is bothered.