22lr cleaning

Rst1990

Many owners of .22lr rifles claim they never clean their barrels, although there are some who clean them after every shooting session, so I think it comes down to personal choice.

I do clean mine occasionally, using a boresnake. I also clean any residue from the bolt and extractors etc, as well as the area around the breech. Normally it comes off quite easily just using a toothbrush, but if it is a bit stubborn then some Hoppes #9 does the trick.

I had to clean mine the other day first time in years due to bullets going all over the place 2 time through with a wire brush on the cleaning rod and it was back on zero wont clean it again until it needs it with regard to the moderator it is more important to take it off the rifle did not take mine off and it is now so rusted on it wont come off :blush:

You guys are mad!

I clean mine after every shooting session, if I don't, I can just imagine the corrosive substances from the nitro powder eating away at the metal. :no:

What :shout: and its managing to get through the layers of wax and lead too :lol:

I find it hard to understand lead being eaten away, i mean our Church roof has had it on there since good old Henry VIII and it aint got any holes in it yet :lol: Just keep shooting it till the bore gets too tight with lead and wax that the bullets dont come out the other end :yes::lol:

I am sure this has been discussed many times over the last 12mnths.

Here are my findings

1. if your going to clean, clean it real well. Half jobs make things worse

2. if you can only do 1/2" at 50 yards and don't shoot much past that, you wont be able to tell if you need a clean

3. shoot at longer range with a good rifle and skill and cleaning becomes very apparent.

4. sometimes it takes a few shots for zero to re-settle but I am now thinking this is more likely a not quite complete enough clean (see number 1) that deposits lead in the corner someplace that needs re-smoothing. I did a few re-cleans if I found zero had shifted and pop right back on zero again. its never drastic though and you certainly cant blame the sort of shift I am talking of at this higher level cleaning for a miss on a bunny