Rats maay be back

Sha Bu Le

After 2 years of no sightings or other signs our window cleaner (who also shoots and angles) gave me a heads re a scaly tail he'd seen in my garden.

So out with the peanut butter and nuttella keep the HW100 charged up and see what transpires. There is a food source next door, they are avid song bird feeders so maybe any rats are more likely to visit them.

Oooooo I hate them with a passion one step up from magpies.

Do you use normal domed pellets or flat head on rats? We have a few about recently so going to crack down on them as well, might try the peanut butter trick

Topshot, I use RWS Superdomes for everything they work well. rats,maggies, bunnies etc. A good all round pellet for me, other members use other pellets, its what works for them and what their guns like.

I use peanut butter to lure them into a safe shooting zone in front of my backstop, range is just under 20 metres and the pellets do the business.

Good luck, get the scaly tails sorted.

ATB

Bri

• 3 weeks later...

Trust me it aint gone, just wiser than you think. Airguns are in the main a bit of fun and a back-up! Around your home poison and traps are the number one way. I have seen about four rats around our home and buildings in the last 5 years a couple I shot and the rest I just increased the poison or moved traps to the location if it was a previously un-trapped site.

Lord only knows how many have died from poison but the last I got in a trap was this morning, every time that happens I top up all the poison baits. Perhaps I catch ten a year in the traps. I think this puts a bit of looking for a shot with the airgun in perspective, I also had rats come into the house about two years back and they took some shifting. In the cellar at first they subsequently came up the cavity into the ceiling, so do try and take things seriously.

I too noticed I had rats last night , spotted one in a heap of garden waste I have ready to burn , sat out with the airgun for a few mins and spotted about four at the same time !

Traps are out and I will have another go with the airgun tonight as I have more time .

Poison is not a option for me as they are very near the dog pen and I dont want one wandering in there half dead to be eaten.

I too noticed I had rats last night , spotted one in a heap of garden waste I have ready to burn , sat out with the airgun for a few mins and spotted about four at the same time !

Traps are out and I will have another go with the airgun tonight as I have more time .

Poison is not a option for me as they are very near the dog pen and I dont want one wandering in there half dead to be eaten.

I haven't ever seen a rat eaten by a dog, I think such secondary poisoning is very unlikely as the rat dies of the effect of a fair quantity over time. The bigger risk to the dog was some other infection from eating a rat. I have never seen a dog eat crow, fox or rat though all mine like to eat some sort of mouse that makes its nest above ground here- they seem to be some sort of doggie delicacy.

Interestingly my Lab will mark any tunnels that a rat has been captured but wont when its a rabbit. He is more than keen to retrieve or hunt up bunnies though. The same dog will not retrieve any type of corvid - if I pretty much force him to pick it he will come a few steps then drop it again and pee on it to make his point and walk away (if anyone can explain all that I should love to hear the theory coz it baffles me- (other than its his way of saying don't eat that!)

I just want the horrible things dead poison.shot.trapped and drowned I really have no preference as long as they die.never had any problems with the dogs as they might kill them but never eat them.and the feral cats have never been harmed by any of it.

Yeah, don't go drowning stuff though it will lead to a conviction for cruelty! I shouldn't drown anything personally

Yeah, don't go drowning stuff though it will lead to a conviction for cruelty! I shouldn't drown anything personally

I have had one or two clients mention they catch them in live traps then drown them...oh dear, times have changed.

To be honest I can't believe it is a very pleasant way to die regardless!

Edited by Dekers

Trust me it aint gone, just wiser than you think. Airguns are in the main a bit of fun and a back-up! Around your home poison and traps are the number one way. I have seen about four rats around our home and buildings in the last 5 years a couple I shot and the rest I just increased the poison or moved traps to the location if it was a previously un-trapped site.

Lord only knows how many have died from poison but the last I got in a trap was this morning, every time that happens I top up all the poison baits. Perhaps I catch ten a year in the traps. I think this puts a bit of looking for a shot with the airgun in perspective, I also had rats come into the house about two years back and they took some shifting. In the cellar at first they subsequently came up the cavity into the ceiling, so do try and take things seriously.

Just also note that using the same poison for a long amount of time can cause rats to start building immunity to it. We used to see it when I worked for Rentokil, with mice - their plops had a blue hue to them after a while. It's from when they don't eat enough to kill them and slowly start building an immunity from there thus increasing the LD50 which isn't great if there are other food sources available nearby. We used to change AI after a while to mix things up a bit. Just a thought if it helps :-).

I have had one or two clients mention they catch them in live traps then drown them...oh dear, times have changed.

To be honest I can't believe it is a very pleasant way to die regardless!

Same when I was a pest controller, people used to tell me all sorts of horrifying accounts. One place I went to was using a small local 'one man band' who was a cowboy at best. He had lined the loft with sticky boards and just left them there for a couple of weeks until he was coming next. What I saw on those boards haunted me for a long time. Another favourite was a firm who put a load of 'insectequtors' in the loft of a large house owned by a very well off lady who was suffering with cluster fly (odd treatment I thought) and when I entered the loft I saw 2 scorched dead bats. Took photo's for evidence and got the heck out and phoned the authorities.

Just also note that using the same poison for a long amount of time can cause rats to start building immunity to it. We used to see it when I worked for Rentokil, with mice - their plops had a blue hue to them after a while. It's from when they don't eat enough to kill them and slowly start building an immunity from there thus increasing the LD50 which isn't great if there are other food sources available nearby. We used to change AI after a while to mix things up a bit. Just a thought if it helps :-).

Yes, one of the keepers told me to mix what I put out intermittently for this reason. I only use poison in the cellar though (which hopefully is now fairly well sealed as much as it ever can be to their ingress)so I am sort of banking on that any odd one that does find a route in meets a goodly load of fresh bait. I don't mess about though I don't want to pay contract prices for regular visits through the year if I feel I am ever struggling I will pick up the phone to some excellent local pro-firm I have used in the past.

The cellar has two main chambers leading off at the mouth of each of these man size holes I have wax baits suspended on s/s wire, if these go then I know things are likely a foot.

What I present is effectively a "buffer" to incoming settlers. Its amazing though I see very, very few rats lamping or just out and about outside generally

Yes, one of the keepers told me to mix what I put out intermittently for this reason. I only use poison in the cellar though (which hopefully is now fairly well sealed as much as it ever can be to their ingress)so I am sort of banking on that any odd one that does find a route in meets a goodly load of fresh bait. I don't mess about though I don't want to pay contract prices for regular visits through the year if I feel I am ever struggling I will pick up the phone to some excellent local pro-firm I have used in the past.

The cellar has two main chambers leading off at the mouth of each of these man size holes I have wax baits suspended on s/s wire, if these go then I know things are likely a foot.

What I present is effectively a "buffer" to incoming settlers. Its amazing though I see very, very few rats lamping or just out and about outside generally

Nice, thought you would know but it's worth mentioning.

It always amazed me that rats could squeeze through such tiny gaps and climb walls quite well, seems as though if they can tell the place is littered with ample food source they'll find a way of getting in.

Three less after last nights effort with the airgun , saw a few more , they seem to have built a home in my bonfire pile , I think they will be feeling a tad warm as soon as it dries enough to light it , I will have the 4.10 on standby for any that leg it !

Kent Hi we do take things seriously, my neighbour the bird feeder uses snap traps (in boxes with ratty sized entrances) we also get the rat man out from the council out who puts poison down. How effective the poison is I'm not sure, blue and pinkish pellets. I use my gun in my garden. These tactics netted us about 40 odd swishers 2 years ago, I believe these were transients as an old working mens club and an old school were demolished, reports at the time said there were 'droves' od rats leaving as the buildings were demolished. Since then not seen any sign of one until 2 weeks ago.

No sign since but if they do reappear then we will use the same methods.

I do accept your statement that its not gone and someone else's statement that where there is one there are others. Given that they are alleged to have an operational range of around 100 sq yds it may be they are being better fed in some else's garden.

Given the presence of little mice of some type and given rats won't tolerate mice I believe they/it have moved on. Maybe not very far but moved.

Thanks for your input.

Bri