Kennel building tips/help

alexl

Hi,

Im in the process of building kennels to house two labs, the area is approximately 3x6m in size, the plan is to separate into two sections, consisting of a square run with a 1x1m box inside

I plan to have it built out of blocks around the back and sides and have metal panels across the whole front. At the moment in digging the area for the concrete pad, I plan to put a gulley drain across the front and have a slope running into the drain, but how much slope should I be looking to have over the 3m length?

Does anyone have any advise for things to consider before they start to go up? any tips of anything to do with layout, making cleaning down easier ect would all be appreciated.

Here's a rough idea of what I had planned, does it look ok to those in the know about kennels?

Thanks Alex

post-62216-0-17886900-1411672177_thumb.png

Yes mate just a couple of things spring to mind one is at the end of the gully is that connected into the waste pipe system and the other thing that I did to my kennels is I put a smooth exterior screed over the top of my concrete then sealed it for the dog we smells then painted it and it's really easy to keep clean now

Thanks to all for the feedback.

Yes mate just a couple of things spring to mind one is at the end of the gully is that connected into the waste pipe system and the other thing that I did to my kennels is I put a smooth exterior screed over the top of my concrete then sealed it for the dog we smells then painted it and it's really easy to keep clean now

im hoping to plumb the drain into the waste system, I originally planned to pipe it into the drainage ditch that runs along the back of where they were going, but decided against it when I realised that in the summer the ditch is dry it'll stink to high heaven, plus any disinfectant wouldn't do much good running down there.

looks good; I have a plumbed small sheep trough in the kennel; also got my run part built on two levels and dog always fouls the bottom part and keeps top part clean. I wish id lined the perimeter with a raised brick or block so that when pressure washing the dirty water didn't just run out.

A drinking trough is a good shout thanks, it saves worrying about them running out of water in the summer when im not about. ill definitely look into putting one in.

that looks tidy, +1 for the smooth screed and floor paint, and about 2" fall will suffice, too much and your dogs will roll down the slope into the piddle gulley when they lay down.

if you can afford it then a nice marine 2 pack rubberized paint.

and those metal panels, they need to be galv or powder coated :good:

ok Thanks, any suggestions on prefabbed metal panel suppliers? im a bit paranoid about making the kennels as secure as I can make them, but no suppliers seem to be close to me to go and have a look at how strong the panels are.

Sorry to sound a bit dopey but you got a link/name for a decent paint? my Google search isn't giving me a lot

The metal panels do you mean the bars matey and if so I would go for the puppy bars with a 5cm gap and if so I will have a look where I got mine from and always remember it doesn't matter how secure you think it is if the scum bags want your pride and joys they will do

I have made as much deterants as I can do which I can tell you about if you would like

The metal panels do you mean the bars matey and if so I would go for the puppy bars with a 5cm gap and if so I will have a look where I got mine from and always remember it doesn't matter how secure you think it is if the scum bags want your pride and joys they will do

I have made as much deterants as I can do which I can tell you about if you would like

Yep 5cm puppy metal bars are the ones I was looking at, how sturdy are they?

A few ideas on deterants might be handy if you dont mind, every little helps.

Here's my current project I hope to have finished soon. For four (currently) cockers.

I plan on tiling the floors. It has a gulley on the inside and one on the outside running into the sewer.

I can't decide whether to tile the wales to a metre high or use PVC hygenic cladding yet.

I got my run panels from animalpensandpanels.co.uk I got the 5cm bars

Any questions just shout

post-1990-0-25203300-1411736350_thumb.jpg

post-1990-0-54330700-1411736357_thumb.jpg

post-1990-0-41614300-1411736490_thumb.gif

Edited by Millomite

Thanks for taking the time to draw that up, I really like that layout. I'm going to peg out an area and have a look with it sized out on the floor. Having the single access door is a good idea for an added bit of security.

That's a really nice setup you have, im tempted to look at extending it to three and put my other dog in there too.

Would 1x2m runs be big enough for them while im at work for a whole day? they'll be getting exercised before I leave in the morning, and let out as soon as I get back in. They'll probably be in there roughly 9ish hours?

I've seen some flat plastic sheets that are sold for farms ect that look like they might be good for kennel walls and maybe even floors.

https://www.teksupply.com/contractor/supplies/prod1;ts_polymax-ts_polymax_wallboard;pg106835.html

http://www.birchfarmplastics.co.uk/recycled-plastic-sheets-boards.html

Quite pricey, but can be used for farm stalls ect so id imagine they are quite robust.

The HDPE will scratch and look messy but is waterproof. A lot of the things blike stock board has wood inside which will eventually get soaked in urine and cleaning solutions when the surface gets scratched.

Have a look at Filon "fibre reinforced nylon". Extremely tough,waterproof and even parrot chew proof. They make road signs out of it as it has no scrap value unlike the old aluminium ones.

You can buy reject sheets from Action Clad 2001 near Doveridge. I am sure there are other suppliers as well. It comes in flat and fluted sheets, translucent and coloured in various thickness.

Just checked their site and they don't appear to list it. You might have to give them a ring to check if they still do it.

Edited by loriusgarrulus

I got a kennel from Mitton Hall. The bars are solid whereas some suppliers are hollow and can easily be bent apart, these can not. I believe they will sell just these if needed. They are up north but delivery wouldent be that hard to sort.

I have a mitton hall kennel and they are built to last,maintenance free galvanised solid bar panels,powder coated roof and a really tough plastic sleeping area with aluminium edges,I have been in engineering for years and these are the best I have seen.

I would price everything for your design and see how much extra (and it's going to be extra)) for a mitton hall and go and look

Just checked a bowland double kennel with a removable partition is £1950 that's for bar, cheaper for mesh

Tubular heaters with wire cages around them,keep all wiring out if the dogs way,the best way is wire it from the back.

If you buy the shorter heater and the longer wire cage you can put the stat behind it too,again with the lights a high level outdoor switch

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/PHTH2G.html?source=adwords&kw=&gclid=CJ-p5o_d_8ACFcsBwwodtB8Arw

http://www.websparky.co.uk/acatalog/1--60W-Tubular-Heater-BN601.html?gclid=CJv289nd_8ACFabLtAodvyYA0Q

look up bison 2 pack polyurethane floor paint, or any paint suppliers will be able to help, we did wymondhams new police detention centre a few years back and we got the paint through brewers paint suppliers.

I'm looking for kennel floor paint, of the ones I've read up on the conditions required to set it off properly could be difficult in the cold/wet north of england. Seems more suited to indoor use but will look into bison