Mixed Cider

guest1957

I work on an orchard and we make a lot of cider.... The way we get the different levels of sweetness is to back sweeten with juice once it has finished fermenting.... We also add black current and other flovour juices once it has fermented out.... If you stop fermenting the abv can be very low unless you are measuring with a refractomiter regularly it's hard to be accurate in stopping it. You can add all kinds of stuff once it's done, but it's easy to mess up a batch if you add it before.

Matt

I work on an orchard and we make a lot of cider.... The way we get the different levels of sweetness is to back sweeten with juice once it has finished fermenting.... We also add black current and other flovour juices once it has fermented out.... If you stop fermenting the abv can be very low unless you are measuring with a refractomiter regularly it's hard to be accurate in stopping it. You can add all kinds of stuff once it's done, but it's easy to mess up a batch if you add it before.

Matt

If you back sweeten doesn't the fermentation kick off again with the added sugar?

I've done loads of all grain ale brews but only recently a proper pressed fruit cider, we collected apples and pears from hedgerow crushed and pressed. I was amazed at how quickly it started fermenting naturally, less than 12 hours!

How long should it be left in demijon? I'm not worried about it being too dry on this occasion, it's been in around 5 weeks.

Cheers.

If you back sweeten doesn't the fermentation kick off again with the added sugar?

I've done loads of all grain ale brews but only recently a proper pressed fruit cider, we collected apples and pears from hedgerow crushed and pressed. I was amazed at how quickly it started fermenting naturally, less than 12 hours!

How long should it be left in demijon? I'm not worried about it being too dry on this occasion, it's been in around 5 weeks.

Cheers.

Not if you've killed the yeast, you can leave it as long as you like it all depends on temperature, we have the fermentation room set to about 20/25 degrees and each barrel (1600 liters) stays in there about 9 months. There are lots of ways to kill the yeast but at home I've found the best way is to heat it to 64C for about 20 mins once the juice is added. You can also do it by putting it into bottles early but be ready to call the bomb squad!

Not if you've killed the yeast, you can leave it as long as you like it all depends on temperature, we have the fermentation room set to about 20/25 degrees and each barrel (1600 liters) stays in there about 9 months. There are lots of ways to kill the yeast but at home I've found the best way is to heat it to 64C for about 20 mins once the juice is added. You can also do it by putting it into bottles early but be ready to call the bomb squad!

:good: Thanks for the reply.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just started off three gallons of cider. Where I shoot, they usually let me raid the Bramley windfalls, which make up about about 50%, plus about another 10% of Cox's, the rest from mixed hedgerow apples, some quite sweet. This year the Bramley's and Cox's failed to fruit, so have made up this batch with mostly wild apples, plus 10lb of sweet red Royal Gala from my own trees. After we had mashed the fruit we realised that we had put about 10lb of quinces in the mash.The juice was not as sweet as usual, but is fermenting like the clappers. Quite interested to see how this lot turns out. I'm still on the lookout for some more apples for another batch. My blog : http://www.urbanfieldsportsman.com/index.php/cider-making/

Edited by kenj