Another lesson learned

Passionforangling

Yesterday was the first chance I'd had to go out and had a small time window available from 12 until 4.00pm. I'd agreed to take a friend whose mobility is severely restricted due to a stroke and so we are limited to a certain degree where we can shoot because he can't walk too far at the moment.

Anyway we headed for a rape field and watched for about an hour before deciding it wasn't worth setting up. A few odd birds were dropping in but nothing to make us feel that it would be worth trying to decoy them. We drove around and found that the pigeons seemed to have deserted the area.....we could hardly find anything!

With time pushing on we opted for a regular field we have shot before which is on a flight line back to the residential areas. So a quick drive around to that field and we just sat in the hedges hoping that the birds would fly over on their way home in the strong winds.

Well, we had a few shots each but nothing spectacular. In the hour and a bit that we were there I shot 22 cartridges for 4 pigeons and a magpie so not a record but enough for dinner one night.

The lesson learned? Well it was the first chilly day here and the wind was strong so I wore a jacket for the first time this year. I noticed that I was struggling to mount the gun correctly with the jacket having been used to just a T shirt on recent outings. 5 kills for 22 is not great and I can't even say they were difficult shots because the birds were generally flying low in the song wind so no excuses there but hopefully I'll get used to wearing a jacket over the coming months.

My friend shot a similar number so he was happy, just getting out in the fresh air is a tonic for him at the moment.

Not a massive bag by all means but being out in the great outdoors with your goods friends is priceless itself, and a big up to you and your close friend after such an unfortunate incident ,happens to the best people im sure you would agree , anyway mate plenty more outings for you two im sure ! Good luck for next time !