Shooting in America

Pykie

I've hunted on private land in New Jersey - Showed them my shotgun cert but they wanted to see my hunters license - Told them that the UK does not issue them, but luckily I still have a copy of my last Game licence in the back of the wallet which has now sufficed on 3 occassions!

Hunting on public land however is a bit of a rigmarole and you'd be best to call beforehand to start the ball rolling- the electornic enquiries bit gets you no response whatsoever.

I've hunted on private land in New Jersey - Showed them my shotgun cert but they wanted to see my hunters license - Told them that the UK does not issue them, but luckily I still have a copy of my last Game licence in the back of the wallet which has now sufficed on 3 occassions!

Hunting on public land however is a bit of a rigmarole and you'd be best to call beforehand to start the ball rolling- the electornic enquiries bit gets you no response whatsoever.

You are absolutely correct and you jogged my memory . I also produced my UK game licence as well as my gun licences .

Harnser

• 2 months later...

I think the moral of the story is it very much depends on who you encounter and WHERE you visit in the USA. My first experience was in California and they did NOT want to sell me a hunting licence without a HSE qualification. I offered to do it as it was a day but none were scheduled in the area where I was (San Diego) in the end I persuaded a senior trainer that my DSC 1 qual was similar to hunter safety and they looked it up on line and agreed, after that I was allowed a licence but it did take the lions share of a day to sort out!

After that I had No problems but did present my SGC/FAC/DSC1 in this first instance.

Next time was Texas - they just took the money with no questions at all ?

If you are taking your own firearms deal with the ATF well ahead of your travel!

Make sure the airline you intend to use (including connecting internal flights) will accept and transport a firearm Let them know so they are expecting you?

Good Luck