Shooting scaring horses

spandit

I have permission to control rabbits at a livery yard and quite often there are horses out in the fields at night. With the moderated .22LR it's not generally a problem, although they do get spooked occasionally as the thump from hitting a rabbit is pretty loud!

Having just bought a .17HMR, I'm concerned that this will spook them too much - anyone with experience in these matters? It's got a PH moderator (a .22 one, I think) but I know with a supersonic round it's impossible to make it whisper quiet...

I own horses and also shoot on the same land that they are kept at.i shoot with shotguns and during daylight hours it does not bother my horses.quite the opposite really they come over to see what all the noise is.i would not like to say the same for night shooting as they will probably not see you and a sudden thud will most likely give them a start.best thing is to give it a try and hopefully they will not be to worried by it.

Make sure you are insured.

On a farm where I use a shotgun many times, I fired an air rifle 40 yards from a horse (and firing the other way) once and it jumped and fell over. It made me think that you never know what reaction you are going to get.

An HMR makes a loud crack even with a moderator (any moderator)

I'd consider a PCP as well

You shot enough with any gun a horse will get use to it trust me I have been shooting a fiels next to a paddock with permission from the horse owners blessing as rabbits was digging up paddocks as long as the horses didn't get to scared and was shooting with 12G from distance then working closer day and night I have them that use to noise now I can stand 20ft away and they dont even move now when I fire

Edited by littlerob

They soon get used to it i find but really cant help but follow you round sniffing once they smell blood from shot quarry.

I prefer an air rifle around horses and defiantely make sure your insured as the Horsey lot are quite franckly offen bonkers, I know this because my two sisters are horsey as is the wife !

ATB

Matt

On one syndicate I was in one drive and 3 pegs were in paddocks and i got the middle peg. As birds started to show one horse walked slowly up behind me and stood inches from my back almost looking along my barrels. Owners had said ok with guns but rather s******g myself as I took first shot - killed a couple and horse walked slowly away. Worrying but it didn't seem at all bothered by 12g going off feet from his nose. Wish someone had got a camera - would have been a fantastic Posture for the scrap book.

For several century's horses have been in battle with cannons blazing nearby, riders shooting while on the saddle, and the horses in question would simply be used to the noise and ignore it.

Same applies today, as soon as the horse realises the discharge is not a threat, their heads go down to graze and they ignore the noise.

What agitates a horse is always the agitated owners flapping about and sending vibes to the horses who re-act.

Horses just need training like a gun dog to not re-act, and they are fine.

Its much harder to convince horse owners that there is no issue, many seem to believe their filly will die of fright, stampede, or abort a foal just because some-one is plopping some pigeons down in the next field. These are the same horses that pay no attention to road traffic, trains, planes and all the rest - simply because they know from exposure to the noise and movement its not a threat.

Ponies in the field beside our clayground don't even flap an ear when shooting starts, they will even come up to the fence to watch!

Owners, on the other hand, can be seen spooking their horses by rushing about yelling and waving their arms because they think there is an issue. Get rid of them, and the horses will settle down and ignore shooting within minutes.

Yes horsey people are often very precious about their horses. I shoot rabbits with the 12g in a paddock where people pay for livery. This one women came to feed her horse, or whatever they do, and saw me gutting a rabbit and went mad at me saying 'my horse has a stomach condition and if it relapses im sending you the bill!' and then she demanded I stop shooting there! I pointed out that I was preventing the field being overun with rabbit holes her horse could break its leg in and she should ask the farmer if she had a problem with me shooting. And her horse won't leave me alone following me around when im shooting. I told the farmer about it and he wasn't impressed with her outburst especially given he has a years waiting list for livery!

I shoot a paddock next to horses and donkeys for a while.

I started with an airgun, then moved onto the HMR but shooting away from the horses (obviously, but as in literally opposite with a horse behind so that the noise travelled opposite direction to them)

Then I shoot my 12g there for pigeons and often have the horses nosing about. Never a problem. Sometimes new donkeys and horses are a little flighty, but the landowner usually leaves me a note in the stable or tells me when I see her and she likes me to get them used to the noise.
The other landowner down the way a little whom I also shoot once put her thoroughbreds and a race horse in a penned off part of the paddock and told me to carry on as normal, but they were much flightier than the others.

I also tend to muck in and help out a bit when I'm there after shooting, helps you get a better relationship with the landowner. Where I shoot, If i tell her I'll be lamping in advance, she puts high vis reflector vests on the horses for me.