BEST BAG THIS YEAR

hawkeye

A couple of days ago had a call from one of my good farmers to tell me the field behind his house was covered in crows and pigeons..

So arranged to go yesterday early got there about 7 - 45 am the first field of stubble i saw had quite a few geese and ducks on it..

Anyway the field he was having problems on had just been sown a couple of days earlier, I pulled up to have a look and put the best part of 1000 birds up

consisting of ferals black ones and pigeons... The only place i could set up with out having to carry my gear had the wind straight in my face.

Got set up and in the hide by 8-30 am birds started to decoy straight away but because of the strong wind i had quite a few come from behind so had some great snap shooting.

I ended the day at 4-45 pm as the sun was right in my eye's and it was hard to see the birds coming in. By the time i had picked all up it was nearly 7pm had to keep stopping to get my breath

the ashma really kicked in...

i ended the day with 115 on the clicker i picked up 65 wood pigeon and the rest picked were ferals and blackies..

A good day but what I don't understand is why the clicker especially on stubble or drilling even without a dog shot birds should be easy to pick and in my opinion if they are not picked the don't count.

I find it invaluable on stubble at times. For instance, when I had the bag of 248 a little while ago, I had around 30 birds down in the ditch and the ploughed field behind. The clicker lets you know how many you have to pick from these locations. Multiple clickers can help.

A good day but what I don't understand is why the clicker especially on stubble or drilling even without a dog shot birds should be easy to pick and in my opinion if they are not picked the don't count.

Where did i say i did not pick them all i stated 115 on clicker 65 woodies the rest mixture of blackies and ferals.......AND THESE WERE PICKED AS WELL.. if you read the thread ...

As far as the dog went after i had finished shooting and picked all the decoys up he used to pick everything else up..

I suffer quite a bit with ashma and on my own takes twice as long as it did when i had the dog..

Edited by hawkeye

er I think you will find he said in the opening post he said he "picked all" so no need for the little dig

KW

Good day there Hawkeye,not seeing anything like those numbers up this way.

agree they have been as rare as the scarlet pimpernel, but they are about I had a bash at them yesterday hundreds in the air most I have seen since last year , been a very poor spring and stubble season this year they were just not about? the birds I shot yesterday were all young birds so just where have they been/come from?

KW

er I think you will find he said in the opening post he said he "picked all" so no need for the little dig

KW

I was not having a dig and I can read, I saw that all were picked I merely said that I couldn't understand the need for a clicker on stubble or drilling but I can now see after mottys post that some people may find them useful for knowing how many they need to look for at the end of the day. I personally use my dogs and they pick up everything a we go apart from those that are easy to pick so I have very few to find at the end of the day.