New truck - NOT.

Blunderbust

Well I have been saving up for over 5 years to get myself a new truck. My current one is a 2005 mark 5 Toyota Hilux which has never ever let me down. The plan has always been to change it when it was 10 years old and probably for a new model of the same. I had the current truck in the dealers getting the timing belt done (92000) with a complete service and safety check ready to trade it in. The truck came back with a totally clear safety check list and the dealer stated that he was impressed with its condition for its age. Yes their are a few bumps and scratches and it needs a new rear bumper (due to some rust coming through) but other than that it will probably go on for another 10 years. So here is the situation, do I need to buy a new truck to throw my shooting kit in and transport the Deer to the game dealer or do I just keep the same truck and spend it on something else?

I have also been looking to get myself a new bike as I sold my last one (a Gold Wing 1800) a few years ago and have been really missing the bikes. I decided that a new truck was not needed and got the feelers out for a nice big Cruiser/Tourer which would cure my yearning to get back out on two wheels. I had been looking for 3 weeks when I spotted an advert for a machine that would fill my needs and decided on the Monday to have a drive over (210 miles) and have a look. I had a test drive and bought it on the spot having cracked a deal with the dealer to have the machine delivered the following Thursday.

So here it is, although I am finding it hard to get my son, Marek off it, I just sooooo love riding it and can't wait to start planning some touring trips for next year.

My Triumph Rocket 3 Touring.

Bike004crop.jpg

Edited by Blunderbust

my mate has had 3 of them .

very very different to ride than sports/sitty up bikes but it does not take long to get used to the riding position but......................MY GOD ARE THEY QUICK !!!!!! and I have never been on anything with as much torque nearly pulls your arms of if you give it wellie .

very comfy on long runs tho my mate done the nurburg ring on his ,

the rocket owners club have quite a few rallies all round the country during the year and very good weekends are had

Edited by hodge911

Nice bike just the wrong country to enjoy that you need lots of open space and empty roads something you not going to find in the uk.

P/S if you look after the Toyota Hilux it should do you for another 10 years and another 100.000 miles so even though I am not a bike fan I think that you have made the rite decision.

Edited by four-wheel-drive

Thanks for the nice comments, I have managed to get out for a few short rides and took it into the town a few times to get used to the handling in the traffic and round some of the many small roundabouts. I have to say that I am pleased so far :good: . Kent, for once we agree on something, I think the fact that I have changed the oil every 5000 miles and had the truck serviced every 10,000 miles is the reason that it is in such good condition (mechanical wise). I will start saving again for a new truck, but the good thing is as the bike was only half the cost of a new truck I will not have to wait as long this time to reach my target,

Edited by Blunderbust

Thanks for the nice comments, I have managed to get out for a few short rides and took it into the town a few times to get used to the handling in the traffic and round some of the many small roundabouts. I have to say that I am pleased so far :good: . Kent, for once we agree on something, I think the fact that I have changed the oil every 5000 miles and had the truck serviced every 10,000 miles is the reason that it is in such good condition (mechanical wise). I will start saving again for a new truck, but the good thing is as the bike was only half the cost of a new truck I will not have to wait as long this time to reach my target,

You going to the pigeonwatch weekend at Catton on it Jimmy :lol::lol:

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the Rocket 111 after a few months. I almost bought one after test riding two different models but every owner I spoke said it's a great bike BUT. no one could actually say what exactly the but was . I was very impressed with the torque and considering it's weight and size I thought it handled and braked well. In the end I bought one of the last Buells, it's a fun bike but I find it uncomfortable after an hour so I'm looking at changing it now.

• 2 weeks later...

88b, once I have used it for a while I will let you know. I would presume the but part might be to do with the weight and the ease in which you can empty the tank in a very short time if you are going hard. I do agree with you so far that the handling and breaking for such a large machine is amazing. I have been out on a few runs now and it is just a total grin factor bike.