Winchester mod 23 re-proof for steel shot.

drone

I have a 23 I bought in the early eighties, used almost exclusively for wildfowling. Had the chokes opened to 1/4 in each barrel and always used eley magnums 4 shot for duck and w-w 3 shot for geese no problem. It's probably fired about a 1000 3" magnums and about 1500 or 2000 clay shells.

I want to reproof it so I can feel happy using eley lightnings, I've fired a couple of boxes through it so it isn't going to let go on me but wondered if anyone had had this job done.

Any comments appreciated.

BTW eley lightning 36 gm 3 are the dogs danglies when it comes to mallard, even so some come down flapping, not a situation I experienced with the 1 5/8 ounces of no 4 lead back in the day.

You have already put several boxes through it - are you going to have it re-proofed every few boxes? If not, I have no idea why you want to do it.

Ditto. Mod 23's are desirable guns anyhow, but having the tubes opened up may have detracted from any value you think steel proofing may add to it. The Americans build their guns strong and have been putting steel shot through all manner of guns for quite a while now, regardless of steel proofing or not. I'd leave as is and carry on enjoying it.

Edited by Scully

You should check the pressures your gun has been tested for while going through proof - if this correlates with the cartridges you intend to use then there should be no problems. On Winchester 23's the barrels are stamped underside, if I remember rightly. I would not go to the expense of a reproof, personally.

You are right in saying the gun was made in Japan - I have an over and under built in the same plant (Kodensha) and they are exceptionally well made. Criminally underrated, in fact.

The thing about the 23 is it's not made in the usa, built in japan,

As were all Winchester 101's. Tougher than you'll ever need. I shoot steel (including HP) through all my Winchesters dating from the 1980's. It's not a problem. You've already proved it can take it, but if you want it rubber-stamped then fair enough. Personally I wouldn't feel the need.

The thing about the 23 is it's not made in the usa, built in japan,

As were all Winchester 101's. Tougher than you'll ever need. I shoot steel (including HP) through all my Winchesters dating from the 1980's. It's not a problem. You've already proved it can take it, but if you want it rubber-stamped then fair enough. Personally I wouldn't feel the need.

As do I - as long as the chokes are right for steel and the pressures are right, there's no reason not to. 3" cartridges / HP Steel require a little more caution though, I think.

Excuse my ignorance, but I assume the Proof House test for steel shot capability is firing an enormous steel load through the gun (as they do with lead) ? As far as I'm aware there is no preparation or aftercare, the gun barrels are either damaged or they pass proof - essentially the OP has done this process himself already?!