Sunday fun

NickB65

Well Sunday was the only day I was going to get out this weekend so no matter what it was going to be a good one.....

The day was perfect, bright with a slight breeze and a lot of birds in the sky. I was going to be in one of the new bale hides which I had only shot in a few times and was still not that happy with set-up wise. The wind was coming slightly from in front to the left and I was about 150 yards from the hedge with a large copse to my right and flight lines running left to right of me to the front and rear and behind me was a huge power pylon.

I gigged the hide a little so my fishing box was on top of a bale so while sat down I could just see over the top and see the decoys. I had a net behind me and slightly over the top of me as the birds were high so the net over my head put me in the shade a little. The magnet was to my right and slightly forward and the decoys ran from this going to the left and arcing out slightly and stopped just in front of me to my left. On the ground we had emerging rape on stubble.

When I arrived there were loads of birds on the flight lines just not going my way all going away to other fields. As soon as I was set-up there was some interest but they were high as they had come from the copse to my right and were not that interested. I turned the magnet on and instantly more came to me but most got within 50 yards and then veered off. Moved the magnet to my front but still they did not like it so I packed that away and put the birds on the magnet onto bouncers which seems to do the trick. For about an hour I as getting a steady flow of ones or twos but not many were really committed. After about two hours I had bagged five for six shots and was feeling good. Then it went quite... not a bird in the sky... then mother called which I knew was a jinx and as she chatted away so they came in ...... being on her own and Dad in a home I did not want to cut the conversation short as she was obviously in need to talk to someone....... an HOUR later she had finished and so had the pigeon flurry....... they came back after a while but I was shooting low - not placing the end of the gun on the bird but under - a habit I have so I missed more than twenty this way before I realised my error. Three came in and I bagged two and then on then at the entrance to the field a silver car appeared.... parked 100 yards in the field and stopped. After about tem minutes I wondered over and asked what they were doing.... "having a picnic......". After a brief discussion they were off and so were the pigeons.

I hand around until 5pm but little was about. The Pheasant came into the field for their evening strut and feed and it was good to watch them through the binos. Then Mr Fox trotted over the field but stayed clear of my little .22 and popped into the copse.

Although it was not the red letter day I had hoped for it was a good day and some quality time......

Edited by Teal

I would like to add well done for talking to your mum for an hour mate.

Much more important than shooting,whatever it was.

Lost my dad last year and what I wouldn't give to have a chat with him.

Best regards.

Fatty

Thanks Fatty..... Dad has dementia and has had for five years. It is a horrible way to go and it takes in toll on her so it may have not been the best timing but I will have many more days shooting but who knows how long with them :-)