Received a Text Last Night

pigeon controller

Received a Text last night from one of my farmers, telling me he had loads of crows on his drillings. So after " doing my jobs" this morning I managed to find one crow and six pigeons that had not gone totally hard in the freezer. The game dealer had collected the weekends tally early on Sunday morning and I had put a few in the freezer for decoys. I arrived at the field at 10.30 and it had about fifty crows on the one edge and two pigeons down. I checked the wind and the suns direction and chose my spot, built the hide and set the decoys out on spikes. Within ten minutes two pigeon came straight into the pattern and were shot. I then heard an engine comming towards me and the farmer appeared with his sprayer " I didn't think you would be here yet I need to spray and the quad will be here later with the slug pellets. So I gathered in the decoys and waited for him to fill up with water and return to spray the first pass infront of me and replaced the decoys. I had birds come into the pattern while he was on the field and when he went onto the other field he spooked a number to me along with the crows . The quad came and went and I continued to shoot and finished at approx 16.30 when it had slowed quiet a bit. The farmer returned and we counted up forty crows and jackdaws and fortythree pigeon, The good news with the farmers return was that he had bought me some more maps to put in my shooting folder I carry in the Disco as he has just bought another one hundred and fifty acres which is going to be rape this year and is talking about a further fifty acres of scrub land which is covered with rabbits. When i took the picture at the end of the day I made an effort to smile as JDog had said that I looked miserable on Saturdays picture. So thats me smiling not wind!!!

d91f3ea6-383f-4f10-a716-235672d05bab_zps

Has your dog been "photoshopped" out of this photo? I knew there was something different about it compared to your usual pictures but just could not see what it was for a while!

Perhaps he/ she was tired after the weekend?

No the dog belongs to DB who still has to work for a living.

Nice to see your hide set up as well. Out of interest do you mainly shoot sitting or standing. Do you think it makes much difference for you?

I always stand for shooting as if you sit you can not twist to hit birds coming from different directions.

Two things I always admire you for is the time and effort put in for your days shooting , and second , the way you lay out your bag after a long hard days shooting , your last bag of pigeons are what I would call a good day and when I finish all I want to do is get home lay me bag out and get me and the dog fed and watered , so well done and keep up your high standards.

I always stand for shooting as if you sit you can not twist to hit birds coming from different directions.

Thanks for that Pigeon Controller. What would be really helpful as well please is if you could show us a picture of your pattern when you start out please. That would be very much appreciated. ATB

I have shot sitting down for years now as I find it to tiring keep standing up and down to take the different shots created in a days shooting , with a old back problem I was finding it a bit painful sometimes twisting while sitting down and with old age here the body isn't as supple as it once was. Well for the last year or more I have been using a swivel seat with a back rest and now I can take most shots without the risk of twisting my back , the one downside is the weight if you have to walk a fare way.

I have shot sitting down for years now as I find it to tiring keep standing up and down to take the different shots created in a days shooting , with a old back problem I was finding it a bit painful sometimes twisting while sitting down and with old age here the body isn't as supple as it once was. Well for the last year or more I have been using a swivel seat with a back rest and now I can take most shots without the risk of twisting my back , the one downside is the weight if you have to walk a fare way.

I've made two swivel buckets and tried them and end up standing to shoot.