Which shooting / sun glasses

remy 700

Why shot impact? Surely that should never happen?

Excluding shotfall from high angle shots which happens frequently, I've been hit by stray pellets on 3 occasions. Once on the cheek, once on the hand and once when the pellet bounced off my shooting glasses. I personally knew the 2 people wounded in the accident in Herefordshire a few years ago, they weren't hit in the face but not far off. Whilst that was caused by a drunk shooter it's stiil a fact that ricochets and handling errors happen sometimes.

When there are guns going off anywhere in range I put on eye protection, always.

I got myself a pair of millitary ESS glasses A1 condition from army surplus, 3 lenses and carry bag, all very good at a sensible price and tested and found suitable for use in millitary action !

ATB

Matt

I have the same.

Work perfectly and great value

It all depends on budget. I would start by saying go for frameless lenses as they won't hinder your view. When you've got your head down on the stock it's different from just trying a pair on in the shop and wandering around with them. My first set of purpose made shooting glasses were from Napier and they came with different coloured lenses for differing light conditions etc. The quality of the lens was ok and they could stop shot from a given distance which is good but they had interchangeable lenses and a plastic clip which held them in place and it snapped one day. Also you get your mucky paw prints all over the lenses if they are interchangeable and the. You have to wipe them clean again. To be fair Napier sent me a new clip for free but I melted the plastics one day after I had put on some midge repellent so that was the end of them really.

Next I bought a set of Top Gun glasses which have 5 pairs of glasses and frames inside the bag. They are tested with 32g number 6 shot at I think 12 yards but don't quote me on that. Even if they do save your eyes your skull will be ****** but never mind. I like the idea of simply just changing the entire pair of glasses instead of clipping and unclipping me mauling them. The quality of the lens is good, they are frameless too. They don't fit brilliantly on my nose and there is no adjustment other than in the length of the part that goes behind your ears. But for £40-£50 they are very good value set of glasses and I don't mind recommending them.

If I had the money though I would be buying Pilla/Hi-Def Specs - but I don't.

So there is no need to buy the posh gear then? Cheers guys

I use the cheap Napier sunglasses at £20, they are superb, even looking directly at the sun. I also use them for driving, with the wrap around lens they stop the sun 'flicking' through the trees on your right hand side. I carry them in a soft case with a clip, which I attach to the strap on my gunslip. Having seen mine, several members of the shoot have now bought them too. They are also available in yellow and red, for clay shooting.

Am I the only member here who uses Pilla shooting glasses ?

Deershooter

NO.

There's a thread running in a US site about a shooter who got an eye injury whilst wearing what he assumed were protective glasses from a major maker. Seems they do make safety lenses but you have to ask for them and pay extra ...

Also the lens is only part of the equation and it has to be in a safe frame. Since my first priority is protection I'm not into those with thin metal bits around my eye .. Ive seen what they can do when the glasses are hit.!!

So either i choose the best lenses in the world with thin framework or something with better protection but less 'great and goodness', for considerably less cost and they meet the military spec test. As someone said 'only 1 set of eyes so buy the ....'. Your choices may be made with different priorities.

http://www.trapshooters.com/threads/problem-with-decot-shooting-glasses.218717/

Edited by seeker