Fac - Northern Ireland

Tweedman94

My first application took 3 weeks (for a 12ga semi auto)

My second application (variation) for a 17hmr took 6 weeks

My thrird application (variation) took 4-5 months and only finally got it after BASC NI rang them three times and threatened to go to the MP with it. that was for an air rifle and a 22-250

Can take anything up to 2 years, for applications, variations, or renewals. It's a disaster in NI, and only hoping it improves now they are getting lots more money in their pay packets :(

• 4 weeks later...

7 weeks isn't too bad, considering some of us had to wait close to a year. Best thing to do is just forget about it until it arrives. Otherwise your head will be turned waiting. There is apparently a backlog of 6 weeks for variations. This is probably the same with initial applications.

7 weeks isn't too bad, considering some of us had to wait close to a year. Best thing to do is just forget about it until it arrives. Otherwise your head will be turned waiting. There is apparently a backlog of 6 weeks for variations. This is probably the same with initial applications.

Thanks for the reply, Gentleman you are. Hmmmm....close to a year. Well, in a way, I feel better already. I really, really hope it is here soon because your right. My head is nearly turned inside out with the wait. The FEO vist was excellent, very positive inspection. I am more concerned with it being rejected after all this wait OR if i was to be rejected. Would it have been rejected already?

Thank you. Rachael.

Most likely your FEO will contact you to let you know if you have been approved in principle if you have been successful. If you haven't been successful you will probably get a letter saying so. If you have good reason to possess what you have applied for, you have met the security requirements for storage and access etc, and have no serious criminal offences, you are likely to be successful. Will you be using the guns for vermin control or target shooting/clay pigeons?

My Gun's. I stated that they would be used, for vermin control and target shooting. My FEO made a second return to look at extra security instalments, IE padlock on the back gate and house locks. On that very second re-turn, he said. We cannot see or find anything, to give us a reason why Not, to award you your Grant. That surprised me. I did send the PSNI a email two weeks ago, asking if everything was fine and was there any problem?

The message I got was, Your application is being processed and you will hear from us as soon as it is complete. Can you believe, i am still not sure, if i will be granted. Talking to someone about this, really does help. Thank you.

Rachael.

Thank you. I will try to be patient lol i find this to be difficult. It seems that its the longest wait of my life. When it arrives i am going to be so HAPPY i might cry. No i WILL cry! I will be straight away, be on this site to announce the verdict. Hopefully it will help others.

Thank you. Rachael.

No! Got a call from the FEO today. He said the land i entered to shoot on failed. He wouldn't tell me why. He said I have been approved and all is needed is authority to shoot on land. I have a friend who had 14 Ac. I thought it would be ok but clearly not. What do i Do?!? I dont know how to get permission from a stranger? I think I am gonna curl up in a dark room and cry for a few days.

Hi Rachael. I find that all my perm's come from folk I know, recommendations, through the local shooting community. Others may have more pertinent advice about direct approaches.

Do any of your friends ride? Stables often have a low tolerance of rabbits due to burrows/leg breaks etc. That might be a start.

Crows etc. round barns (eating soya) and at lambing time. I appreciate though that if you live in the heart of a city it might be difficult to make those connections.

Approval for the 14 acres will depend a lot on the terrain, footpaths, and what lies on the perimeters. It might be worth asking what it was that failed it, and then asking them if they might consider it if shooting were done from an elevated position. That can be either from a truck roof, a high seat and so on. This can put to bed many issues of safety beyond the boundaries.

Another tack might be the calibre - .22. There could be some concern from the officer about ricochet......might they reconsider clearance for another rimfire calibre such as .17mhr?

Any other suggestions from PW members?

If the land is too flat, or if the FEO has deemed the land inappropriate because of safety risks, you will need to supply a permission slip for land that is more appropriate. It should be undulating, and ideally have lots of backstops. I've had two .22 rounds ricochet off blades of grass believe it or not. Most of my permission was acquired through knocking doors, though my first was a farmer that wanted me to tend to the rabbits. He asked me.

Alternatively you could join a club. That way you should get your certificate, and have ample time to source new permission and meet new people who may be able to point you in the right direction.

Edited by Cannon

It is daunting geting ur foot in the door for first permission! I was in the same boat then once your in with one they seem to flow in!

You said you also wanted guns for target shooting?are you a member of a club?that would get the certificate through now then a change of conditions to allow use over the fields is very easy done and free!

What part of the country are you in?

ET