opinion please

brook

Hi everyone new to the forum and currently looking for my first shotgun but I have read so much about different makes,models and the different mechanism types so I'm looking from abit of info from all of you.

Now I only want the gun for odd day or afternoon to shoot pigeon and so on so I won't be spending a lot around £400 so would be looking at second hand guns.

I have been looking at semi autos as I think having the extra shell ready gives you that bit extra over your normal O/U so if you could leave your thoughts on this it would be great.

Thanks liam

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you miss with the first two chances are the third will meet a similar fate as the birds will be faster and further away. I mostly use the 3rd as a back-up in case of wounders or to try for a pair after making them flare with the first and nailing one with the second.

£400 will get you a nice enough side by side non ejector (indeed as will £150 upwards) or a less "branded" and agricultural stack barrel. As regards Auto you will be into a tatty or older model auto ( out of the two I should choose an old but cared for wood stock Berretta) or perhaps one of the lesser respected makes in just used demo

I am pretty set on a semi I don't really see why you would have a U/O but every one to there own I just think the semis are a better all round rough gun

If shooting from a hide then I much prefer an auto especially if sharing the hide, for the simple reason of ease of reloading. You can sit on your seat and reload an auto while the barrel points at the sky, which you can't do with an o/u, and so barrel awareness is so much easier. If I was on my own however, using an o/u wouldn't faze me.

As has been pointed out, an auto will fling its spent cases everywhere, and they're all to collect, whereas you can cup your hand over an o/u's ejectors to catch them.

Whether the third shot is an advantage or not is debatable; I don't think I've ever been at the point where I've emptied the magazine on a very regular basis. Have had many doubles, but can't remember ever having shot a treble (except at duck) although no doubt some will have.

See this is the info I need haha never thought of the cartridges going all over its so hard to choose as you all have good points and bad for both I do have vast experience of all types of weapons just not shotguns. I'm guess semi autos are also looked down upon for clay shooting as well?

If shooting from a hide then I much prefer an auto especially if sharing the hide, for the simple reason of ease of reloading. You can sit on your seat and reload an auto while the barrel points at the sky, which you can't do with an o/u, and so barrel awareness is so much easier. If I was on my own however, using an o/u wouldn't faze me.

As has been pointed out, an auto will fling its spent cases everywhere, and they're all to collect, whereas you can cup your hand over an o/u's ejectors to catch them.

Whether the third shot is an advantage or not is debatable; I don't think I've ever been at the point where I've emptied the magazine on a very regular basis. Have had many doubles, but can't remember ever having shot a treble (except at duck) although no doubt some will have.

Another down side of the semi is that on an odd occasion you may have a jam. Usually very easy to sort out. It occasionally happens with my Browning gold when I try to rush reloading the magazine. But a couple of times I have had to strip the front end to clear. This can be very frustrating, especially when you see birds approaching. In saying that my semi is the workhorse of my cabinet and I love it. Worts and all.

My advices is buy a gun that fits you and feels comfortable more than make and model I been there and bought a auto on that I heard that there the dogs dangles top qauitly one of the best on market rushed and bought one but it didnt fit me I still own this auto and now boughtt a brand new baikal u/o as it fits me

I had a beretta outlander as my first gun and it's a pain picking up your emptys you have to watch what loads you put though other wise it won't cycle.

It takes longer to clean

You get more stoppages

And now I traded it in for a O/U and I'll never get another semi

what happens if you get invited to a shoot; nothing worse than some idiot turning up at a shoot with an auto. Forget fancy names, go and get a gun that fits and youll be fine, Ignore all those saying "if you could up your budget a bit you could get a ,,,,,," Plenty of guns out there for less than 400.

Don't worry it won't be long till you see loads of semi autos on game shoots as is the norm on mainland Europe. Over & unders were once frowned upon.

Some people have no choice but to shoot an auto due to recoil issue seen this on a driven day.

Figgy

Another down side of the semi is that on an odd occasion you may have a jam. Usually very easy to sort out. It occasionally happens with my Browning gold when I try to rush reloading the magazine. But a couple of times I have had to strip the front end to clear. This can be very frustrating, especially when you see birds approaching. In saying that my semi is the workhorse of my cabinet and I love it. Worts and all.

That's a fair point, though I find the only time I have a jam is if I mix 'n' match cartridges. If I stick to one load throughout it doesn't happen. I agree it can be very frustrating when it does happen though. :yes:

I also have found that whilst reassuring to have a semi, cartridge throw is variable depending on load and a lot of time can be spent clearing up. I once shot a 3 1/2 lead 65 gm at a long distance crow the case landed 30 feet away and took 10 minutes to find.

Also difficult to change the second cartridge should you need to. I find an O/U better balanced and as many have said 2 is enough for pigeons. If you get asked to other places, an O/U is more accepted due to the perceived safety issue.

It used to be you could only afford a single shot break barrel type, then graduated to a dilapidated s/s, better IMV to go for a an O/U now, either multichoke or 1/2 and full choke fixed.

The gun is then good for clays (which you will want to try), pigeons, game and rough shoots.

The main issue with Auto loading shotguns and stopages, is many do not actually know how to maintain them. they need not take longer to clean one you have the routine and can take some serious abuse on the marsh so a pigeon hide is no issue. Light loads? well they aint exactly built for 24 grm stuff yet my SX3 super mag which usually gets fed wildfowling loads will normally perform 98 out of 100 with the lightest clay loads, chuck some punchy trap loads in it and it wont miss a beat