How long before returning?

stecad687

Had a good day over stubble 7 days ago (39 in 4 hours with 2 shots for 1 bird) and decided to go back to the same set of fields again yesterday.

The area is full of pigeons and almost a small island with stacks of fir trees, posh houses and a few stubble fields. Always holds plenty of pigeons and i'm the only one with permission.

Set everything up and had to work hard for 12 in 4 hours (3 shots for 1 bird).

The birds were noticeably higher and drifting around. More nervous and coming into the far edge of the pattern.

I know it's a "how long is a piece of string question" but what is the experience of members when returning to the same area of fields?

I have had very big days a week apart on some fields, but its a funny time of year with still plenty of stubbles to choose from,

theres plenty of grub out there at the moment for them, and if something doesn't look quite right there off! Or can be a pain to decoy!

Been out a few times in the last week just around 50ish bags each time and when you consider the amount of pigeon using the fields

I did expect bigger days but the woodpigeon just didn't play ball( your woodpigeon could of been shot at else where also which makes them jumpy) .

again its all down finding a field that they really want with all food in the area exhausted, then they will decoy .

I would leave those pigeon in peace for a good week and go and look for some winter drillings,

time is up against us all at the moment we all want to make a few good bags before they start to flock up, or dissappear in to the woods on beach mast or acorns! !,

Edited by stuy

The ideal that we try to do is shoot a weekend , leave a weekend and then shoot. But the pressure from farmers to shoot them will mean we have to shoot when requested to keep the permission. If this is the case we would change the set up so it is different but always change the hide position and field if possible.

I have know good bags being taken the day after a 'big' day on the same field. This is probably the exception rather than the norm. I try to leave pigeons as long as possible, normally 7 - 10 days (sometimes longer), but the problem is, sometimes other decoyers can nip in ahead of you, or someone can flight them on nearby fields.

I had a frustrating day yesterday. I saw literally thousands of pigeons, but they seemed very wary and did not decoy. I managed to shoot 44. I can only assume that someone has recently given them a pasting on the farm next door.

I have also noticed recently that pigeons have already started to flock up.

I do the best for my farmers, I want permission, they want dead birds, if theres birds I'll shoot them until they stop coming.

I doubt I'd have much permission if the farmers thought I was letting the bird numbers build (damaging crop as they do so) just so I could have a big day.

I do the best for my farmers, I want permission, they want dead birds, if theres birds I'll shoot them until they stop coming.

I doubt I'd have much permission if the farmers thought I was letting the bird numbers build (damaging crop as they do so) just so I could have a big day.

Unfortunately, letting the numbers build is the best way of controlling them. Far better to kill 200 in one go, than kill 30 odd three times and then making the birds become decoy shy.

Had a good day over stubble 7 days ago (39 in 4 hours with 2 shots for 1 bird) and decided to go back to the same set of fields again yesterday.

The area is full of pigeons and almost a small island with stacks of fir trees, posh houses and a few stubble fields. Always holds plenty of pigeons and i'm the only one with permission.

Set everything up and had to work hard for 12 in 4 hours (3 shots for 1 bird).

The birds were noticeably higher and drifting around. More nervous and coming into the far edge of the pattern.

I know it's a "how long is a piece of string question" but what is the experience of members when returning to the same area of fields?

The fact that the birds were higher and less inclined to decoy could easily be more to do with the weather/wind or other available food sources they have since found which they prefer but on the whole a few days rest is a good idea and Motty is correct as usual, you may well shoot more by leaving them to build up than making them gun shy by over shooting a particular area.

Unfortunately, letting the numbers build is the best way of controlling them. Far better to kill 200 in one go, than kill 30 odd three times and then making the birds become decoy shy.

I see your point, all my farms are small as thats whats typical in SW Cornwall, if I let bird numbers build like that the damage to the crop would be too great as the farmer might be relying on only 30 or so acres of cattle feed crop to get his cattle through the winter.

I think that geographical areas must play a large part in pigeon behaviour and what works in one place, doesn't work very well in another.

Letting birds use a field undisturbed until there is a few hundred there regularly, in my area could take quite some time and apart from an irritated farmer, you would possibly find that after a couple of shots , a few hundred birds disappear not to return.

Sometimes little and often gets the same results in the end.

I have fields that I have shot on a number of consecutive days and had good bags, even put the hide poles in the previous days holes.

Yet I have access to other fields that no matter what crop is grown there, the birds will ignore it completely, year on year.

I think the general answer is to watch and learn your land, getting that experience builds up the picture.

I have know good bags being taken the day after a 'big' day on the same field. This is probably the exception rather than the norm. I try to leave pigeons as long as possible, normally 7 - 10 days (sometimes longer), but the problem is, sometimes other decoyers can nip in ahead of you, or someone can flight them on nearby fields.

I had a frustrating day yesterday. I saw literally thousands of pigeons, but they seemed very wary and did not decoy. I managed to shoot 44. I can only assume that someone has recently given them a pasting on the farm next door.

I have also noticed recently that pigeons have already started to flock up.

Finding exactly the same here now, plenty of pigeons but moving around as one and very difficult to decoy even though they are mostly young birds.

As for the op, just keep on watching the field as Cranfield said, and if there is plenty of activty there then have a nother go. Presumably your good day didn't cause too much disturbance and the stubble may well be ploughed in a week's time. As PC said keep changing your hide location and pattern and just use static decoys so they don't become used to magnets etc.

A week in farming is a long while and leaving them to build up is a gamble , he might put gas guns on , scare crows , bags ect or worse still ring up some body else or let a person go who knock on his door a day before you decide to go . My motto is if you think there is enough to go then have a go at least you have stopped somebody else going and kept the farmer happy at the same time. We have read a lot on hear lately where members drive miles looking for pigeons then when they find some go knocking on the door for permission to go , there must be cases where a person is waiting for that field to build up and going on it the next day ..........Hard luck you should have gone when there was enough to go and not letting them build up , how do you know they are going to increase ?

I think that geographical areas must play a large part in pigeon behaviour and what works in one place, doesn't work very well in another.

Letting birds use a field undisturbed until there is a few hundred there regularly, in my area could take quite some time and apart from an irritated farmer, you would possibly find that after a couple of shots , a few hundred birds disappear not to return.

Sometimes little and often gets the same results in the end.

I have fields that I have shot on a number of consecutive days and had good bags, even put the hide poles in the previous days holes.

Yet I have access to other fields that no matter what crop is grown there, the birds will ignore it completely, year on year.

I think the general answer is to watch and learn your land, getting that experience builds up the picture.

I've found the same thing, some fields are just much more pigeony compared to some that never produce.

Some interesting comments.

I also discovered another interesting pigeon trait on the day. A good friend of mine managed to get away from work so I put him in the field that had always been the best one. I took a field 2 up the valley.

His cam net and decoys were rather basic and he didn't get much shooting whilst I was getting all the birds. I could see the birds coming up to his field then diverting away and up to my field.

I eventually put him in my hide and let him have an hour of steady shooting. He commented that he could see the pigeons coming up to his field, looking, then, turning away to head straight to my field.

Only difference was my field craft and my magnet.

Clearly makes the difference between a poor day and an average day.