Wild fowling on the wash

Old farrier

OF was telling Carl the reason tonight, you don't pay him enough :yahoo:

I am no writer mate but I just strung a few bits together as it was...well I could have added a few bits but there is enough there to read without falling asleep.

No it was a very good read.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

First big thanks to ayano3 big Matt and special thanks to Oxford

The effort put in by the team of guides was wonderful

Many thanks

Now this is my take on the weekend

First to say I never new there were 2....4 o'clocks in a day 😀

We met in the dark miles from anywear a carpark I think put on the gear and off a little strole along the sea wall 😊

Well its a bit further than I thought so we split into 2groupes

John off to Andersons

And Oxford and my self to winkle creek this is a very new experience for me and after my guide demonstrated the art of falling over I soon managed to get the hang of it 😙😙

I think he was pushing me realy as he promised to rescue my gun

We were soon at our spot and waited for the flight to start

It was as it started to get light that the first seal came along the creek a treat for me to see there were many birds calling and a few I was unfamiliar with Oxford soon started pointing out the pinks to me

This was a great sight and I realy enjoyed seeing the skeins of 2 or3 hundred birds in the air

We were treated to many Brent's flying within yards and large numbers of waders and other marsh birds all to soon the flight was over and back to the sea wall

Just being there was enough I didn't need a full game bag

Back at the wall we met up with the other team john had a smile that told me he had been sucksessfull

A gentle stroll 😗 back to the cars in daylight you start to see how big these marshes are and you can see for miles

On to breakfast and a de brief I should have had a larger one

So a big thanks to Oxford and his team for guide ing us safely on a wonderful and sucksessfull flight 😃😃😃😃😃

All the best

Of

Evening flight to follow and a few picture when I'm back on my computer 😊

Just a little antidote for a laugh. My dog has to carry something off the marsh when we leave. Tonight she carried old farriers pink for about a mile. But....just as we approached the car park carl asked OF if he had taken the goose off my dog as it was missing.....the look of horror on OF face was a picture lol.

I have photos to put on tomorrow night.

Well done to everyone involved, especially OF and John the pinks :good:

As for ayano3 double booking :rolleyes::lol:

I enjoyed all the write up, brings back great memories :)

I see your coffee flask is still being tormented by your guests Graham, OF emptying if and (pup at the time) Indy running off with the cup :blush::lol:

Well done :good:

Edited by shoot and be safe

Just a little antidote for a laugh. My dog has to carry something off the marsh when we leave. Tonight she carried old farriers pink for about a mile. But....just as we approached the car park carl asked OF if he had taken the goose off my dog as it was missing.....the look of horror on OF face was a picture lol.

I have photos to put on tomorrow night.

She so seldom sees a duck or goose from you no wonder she has to carry your guests fowl , its just to remind herself what they look like :lol:

She's had a few of mine but like I said I'm no writer and I don't post on here what I shoot or don't shoot as nobody else's business and as you know only too well there is to many on here with far more experience that only wait for one stray pellet or one t without the cross on it 😆

Well big Matt took us out to our butts explained the tides and dangers of staying to long on the tide they were big tides this weekend as we walked he told us the history of the marsh and pointed out local landmark 😀😃

Walking on in daylight you see the vastness of the marsh its huge

For anyone who dosent know

a marsh is basically a lot of MUD held together with ankle grabbing weeds more MUD and sea water

Anyway Matt had positioned himself in a spot he could keep a eye on us and the flight began

We were treated to a marvolouse display of waders

Then a large groupe of golden plovers flew in awesome

Legal quarry but I wasent there for them so on they flew

A few duck low and along the creek side I was however looking in the direction the pinks should come from and sure enough they did mostly to the right of us then one skein a lot lower came almost onto us with one low lone bird tagging along I missed 😞😒

Moments later and almost dark a mallard john missed 😀

Credit to Matt he had put us in the place to get the opertunity

Flight over Back to the carpark and de brief on route

Big thanks to Matt great effort and realy genourous to give us your time

Thanks again

Of

Do you want the morning flight next or the eavening in town ?

Glad you enjoyed your trip Of and managed a goose to boot , I would have liked to got down to meet you but I had to work I am afraid ,perhaps another time .

Graham has been round for a cuppa ( well to ponce some catfood really :lol: ) and he very chuffed with his new stick , certainly made by a talented guy , did I mention I broke mine tomorrow :lol:

Day 2 flight 3

Up at 3 getting ready to meet ayano3 all to soon he was with us and off to the marsh at this point I should mention it was raining a touch a fast 15 mile drive to the marsh still raining

Perfect weather according to the books so kitted up and ready quick safety talk (lot bigger tide ) and were off

Luckily for me ayano3 relies more on knowledge field craft and skill 😙

Than a long walk (it was far enough though ) 😀

we split int 2 grouped again and settled into a puddle 😊 out of the rain

As it was just getting light the pinks started to move a great sight for me

The noise of the marsh and the pinks is a memory to keep forever

Looking up a skein is approaching the call was used and 8 or 9 dropped out and came our way still very high

Some more calling and one line bird dropped to within gunshot 😀

I missed 😡

So while watching a big seal in the creek we debated perceived size range and speed

I started working on a sight picture should I be lucky enough to get another opertunity

A few teal flitted by no shots were taken and the morning flight was over

Back to the car park and on for breakfast did I mention the rain was still coming down

We talked of the flight I was very happy to have had a opertunity john a lot further along the sea wall had been unlucky

For those of you that have never done this I can tell you it takes only the slightest thing to alter the flight line of these wild birds

A lot of skill is involved in getting under them

Anyway back to the lodge to dry out and get ready for evening flight

All the best

Of

Flight 4 evening

And my pink

This was to be my last chance at a pink the rain had eased quick briefing and were off stroll along the wall to the spot ayano3 had chosen the other lads a bit further on we settled down as the flight started pinks were in the air a few shots from up and down the marsh and as the light started to go a skein came our way ayano3 started to call they turned and a lone bird dropped out of formation

After missing in the morning I had a sight picture in my head the bird was in range swung through and bang I could see the Winchester wing master BB had done the job

However having heard stories of wounded and lost birds and seen on the morning flight the pain in the behind to other fowlers you become chasing all over the marsh looking for a lost bird I gave it the second barrel definately dead

A swift retrieve from the lab and my

1st pink was in the bag 😀😀😃😃😃😃😃

A magic moment for me and a great experience big thanks to all that helped me on the marsh and without a dought the best raffle prize I have ever had

Many thanks

All the best

Of

Well done on getting your first Pink on the Wash , with all these people lately getting there first one a lot of chaps who are still waiting for there one will start to think there becoming easy , but believe you me they are just as hard to get as they ever were . A lot of it is down to local knowledge and the experience these Wash fowlers have got, so a lot of the credit goes to them for sharing what they know and helping people to fourfil there dream of getting a goose on the salt marshes......Well done to all concerned.

By the way O F we have now heard about your first goose , what about your first breakfast from this café that is getting well known up and down the country for the wildfowlers breakfast they produce.

Well done Old Farrier and to ayano3 (Graham) on getting your first pink :good:

There were some great prizes on offer at this year's charity shoot which helped raise a lot of money for the chosen charity. It is a great event and I, personally, have met some great people and shared some good times with them.

I hope they still happen and if you are able to attend, please do.

Anyway, once again well done OF and all that made a great weekend :good: