Early morning barking

Cookie69

My dog has adapted to his new kennel well.

The only problem I have is early morning barking at around 5:15am

I have a good relationship with my neighbours and wish for that to continue.

I have been thinking about muzzeling him at bed time through until I want to be awake.

Has anyone had the same issue? And has muzzeling worked?

Any thoughts greatfuly received

Thanks

Innotek citronella collars. About £27 off eBay. Mine used to bark a lot as they set each other off at every little noise. Once the noise activated citronella spray has been set off a few times they learn to shut up. Peaceful round here now work a treat. :)

It might be that one of your neighbours is setting off for work on nearly shift at that time and is setting him off.

I wouldn't,t muzzle him as they should not be unsupervised with a muzzle on and overnight is too long to keep one on.

Edited by loriusgarrulus

Innotek citronella collars. About £27 off eBay. Mine used to bark a lot as they set each other off at every little noise. Once the noise activated citronella spray has been set off a few times they learn to shut up. Peaceful round here now work a treat. :)

It might be that one of your neighbours is setting off for work on nearly shift at that time and is setting him off.

I wouldn't,t muzzle him as they should not be unsupervised with a muzzle on and overnight is too long to keep one on.

Thanks I'll look into it

Muzzeling a dog overnight untill you want to get up?

How about working out why he is barking at that specific time and take steps to stop it?

Do some training instead of going for the easy option.

I took my dog out training the other day, we had a session on going over obsticals.

Which went quite well, however when it came to doing a retrieve over the obstical he chose to go under instead of over.

I presume this was because it was the easy option?

Obviously he wasn't chastised because he was using his brain

It seems the easy option isn't just human nature??

Thanks for your advise

Paul

I took my dog out training the other day, we had a session on going over obsticals.

Which went quite well, however when it came to doing a retrieve over the obstical he chose to go under instead of over.

I presume this was because it was the easy option?

Obviously he wasn't chastised because he was using his brain

It seems the easy option isn't just human nature??

Thanks for your advise

Paul

So i take it you are not going to figure out why the dog start barking and try and train it not to then?

Wouldnt like to be your dog if you think strapping its jaws together all night is a good thing to do.

So i take it you are not going to figure out why the dog start barking and try and train it not to then?

Wouldnt like to be your dog if you think strapping its jaws together all night is a good thing to do.

Ha ha

That's what it was mate, just a thought, that's why I thought I would asking on here 1st don't think I ever mention it was a good thing to do???

Thankfully loriusgarrulus came forward with an alternative to a muzzel

for which I'm very greatful and am looking into this evening

I also thank you for your input as well

ATB

For info:

One of the problems with having a muzzle on unsupervised is if the muzzle is tight enough to stop them opening their mouths to bark would stop them opening their mouths wide enough to vomit which could end up with inhaled vomit and a dead dog.

The tighter ones would be uncomfortable to wear overnight and stop them panting properly when warm.

There are loose muzzles called Baskerville I think. They are like a big plastic basket which allows the dog to pant,drink,vomit and bark,but keeps their teeth off anything. Still not good to wear overnight though as they would rub.

Edited by loriusgarrulus

By the time he,s got out of bed put something on and got the hose out all the neighbours are going to be awake too. Also not a good idea once it is in minus figures if the problem occurs in Winter.

Only if he gets up and shouts at the top of his voice until he reaches the kennel. And once the weather is in the minus figures I have an awful job getting water out of the hose...

My first cocker used to bark every morning at around 5.00am ish and it caused a massive row with two of my neighbours which wasn't much fun at the time. I told them I train my dogs everyday so they get exercise but I can't see what's causing them to bark and if they could shed some light it would be helpful. But all I got was a load of abuse and me and one of my neighbours nearly having a punch up.

Now I find it irritating when she barked aswell as I have young kids that it the woke them up. So I set my alarm early and found out two reasons why it was happening one was because the lady who owned the empty house behind me used to turn up at 5 to collect post I assume set my dog off as she thought it was a intruder and the other reason was I caught my neighbour of 40+ years old shooting pigeons off the roof behind my house so the pigeons would land behind her kennel hence the barking out of frustration. So I went round his house started of calm about it all explained that's why she was barking because he was being a massive k### politely which then ended up with another massive row and a threat of armed response. (He moved 1 month later) and the other neighbour behind was told what was happening and learnt the dogs name and used to call it as she went through so it calmed my dog down.

Only if he gets up and shouts at the top of his voice until he reaches the kennel. And once the weather is in the minus figures I have an awful job getting water out of the hose...

In the meantime the dog is barking enough to wake the neighbours up.

You mean you don,t drain your hose down in Winter and store for bringing out for occasional use.

In the past i've used water ballons where the hose wasnae vaible, had them pre filled ready fr it.

But the best advice is to try and figure out why? wots triggering it. Like mich said set ur alarm for 5 and get up quietly a watch/listen wot is setting it off

Wether u go with the collar or water there both aversion and not really gettin to the route of the problem

Odds are it barks at 5 a,m because you went out to it (dog just trained you and being eternal optimists it will try it on again and again)! What you need to do is be up ready and use some aversion to re-program that link. E-collars, hose pipes ready rigged etc are all possible but do not give it what it expects "you coming to the kennel"

It goes like this

Dog

Time to rise and summon the human out me box then, Woo -oo what was that? w- oo again thats weird! Well I don't fancy that again.

Next morning same, forget this!

It really can work that fast