reluctant to come back

hedgerow

any tips my springer pup 7 momths is very reluctant to come back with the dummy havent done very much yet just an odd throw any ideas

he'll most prob grow out of it in time but if not when you can get him to sit and stay then you can start on the recall training or until then just reward him when he comes near you with treats and praise . But whatever you do don't scold him when he won't come with a dummy in his mouth, it can cause all sorts of problems. Best off doing recall training empty mouthed and get it ingrained that he must come to you when called . But he is young and correctional work is a little way off. Ps always keep the dog guessing and do not let him anticipate your next move.

retrieving is recall with something in the dogs mouth, in time they put two and two together pretty good and the recall aint really needed or given. At 7 mnths I should maybe ease off if you feel its becoming an issue building and work on the square bashing and good recall to heel.

You have to remember many 7 mnth old dogs just wanna play and if they can learn tease the boss they will often become addicted to it, then its harder to cure. So if it picks stuff up leave it be and get onto the mundane stuff (if its ready)

I had the same problem with my cocker she would run circles around me stay calm there young

And just playing,mines a year old now and all most knocks me down when she brings a dummy back

It's important to get that recall ingrained

good luck with the little one and enjoy

Edited by postie