firearms officers...dont you just love em!!!!

millrace

not sure where to post this exactly,,,,

well hows this for a story,,, speaking to an officer today knows i do a bit of shooting and low and behold its ceems that those who decree if we are fit and proper to hold a cert are not as how shall we say just as clued up as they should be,,,,,lol one of our local psni firearms officers has just shot 1 if not 2 of his fingers off while doing god knows what with his firearm at his work,,,makes you laugh if it wasnt just quite so stupid..............

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just because they are in a coppers uniform does not make them any safer or more competent handling guns than the average shooter, in fact sometimes quite the opposite! from reported incidents I would guess so called 'trained' firearms police have (relative to numbers) many more firearms related 'accidents' than civilian shooters!......It aint funny!............. its scary!

Our local bobbies left a fully loaded magazine on top of the car, and then went screaming off to a job. There were lots of coppers that day on foot patrol up and down the route taken.

They also had cause to discharge their weapon in a siege type situation, a nutter pointed a handgun at them so they took the shot. Unfortunately they missed and damaged an out building instead!

Edited by Medic1281

I remember some years ago watching a television program about armed airport police. The tv crew were filming two officers patrolling the airport with their MP5s , sidearms and the full monty. A call comes over the male officers radio, he turns to his female sidekick who looked all of twenty and said, we have to go to security, there is a rifle bolt in someones hand luggage. The female officer turned to her partner and said, WHAT IS A RIFLE BOLT how that wasnt picked up before release to be broadcast i dont know, I am always uneasy of airport police now, especially female ones. :lol::lol:

Edited by la bala

Thing is though the police over here don't use their guns every day. They get very little training and are given the generic brick that is the Glock 17. No amount of training could make up for a lack of common sense. In this case the person in question was lucky not to have killed themselves or someone else. Loss of job almost inevitable.

well hows this for a story,,, speaking to an officer today knows i do a bit of shooting and low and behold its ceems that those who decree if we are fit and proper to hold a cert are not as how shall we say just as clued up as they should be,,,,,lol one of our local psni firearms officers has just shot 1 if not 2 of his fingers off while doing god knows what with his firearm at his work,,,makes you laugh if it wasnt just quite so stupid..............

This is a good one..........nothing like being aware

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CEcQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.telegraph.co.uk%2Fmotoring%2Fnews%2F8255204%2FPolice-officers-put-wrong-fuel-in-cars-hundreds-of-times-despite-in-built-alert-in-petrol-caps.html&ei=L7wxVPnuH8GOaIyTgKgI&usg=AFQjCNFY2fH7Z5J7k-NknnBTnC3Af-qqAg&sig2=yUmbUb-GmOfs1gBzAESiFw

TEH

So do FAO in NI decree if you are fit and proper to hold a certificate. Also do you think because this one has had an accident he is not clued up? Yes it is probably stupid, but it does not make me laugh that the poor guy has disfigured himself. However it CEEMS in your case it does. :no:

I can remember sharing a double booked range with the police as they where training on their new mp7.

The sergeant doing safety with me wondered over to 'chat' to a copper between practises, got some abuse. Came back to use and pointed out this lad was not using the gangster grip and his finger was close to the muzzle, the to of us pointed this out to the RCO, who said it would be fine he'd sort it.

Later on whilst we had lunch he shot the end off his finger!!!

I've recently befriended an ex Met armed response/diplomatic protection squad officer and on showing him my latest target card showing a 2.5 inch grouping for 5 shots fired from my .44 Remington BP revolver (shot over 25m), he commented that few if any of his ex colleagues (including himself) could possibly hope to achieve such a tight grouping.

I asked him were they firing under the same conditions as I would have been experiencing i.e. 25m, no timed shots, relaxed atmosphere and he said yes they were and added most of his ex colleagues were mediocre shots at the best of times on the range and proved even less effective when under pressure.

He did say that those officers whose primary weapon is the H&K MP5 are a little better but added that with the scope and other technology used with that weapon, placing a shot accurately is a forgone conclusion.

Perhaps a BP revolver might be better in a firefight anyway because even when you do miss your target, the opposing shooter wouldn't be able to get a good shot in due to all the smoke from your BP rounds that would obscure you!

I used to be in a pheasant shooting syndicate with a armed response officer he was the cockiest muppet I have every met ! he spent weeks bragging how all our foxes would soon be sorted out as he had asked his buddys at firearms licencing to send him a FAC with .222 on it . no problem !

he was turned down for his .222 because of his lack of experience !!! :yahoo: I didn't rub it in .....much

Back in the mid to late eighties our pistol club used to on occasion shoot against another pistol club that consisted of serving police firearms officers. These guys could shoot, and when we competed it was always a very close run contest. The thing was at that time they were all using their privately owned firearms and speaking to them on the subject they said that they also owned a personal copy of their service issue firearm which they used for practice. This situation no longer exists and as such I believe that is why the marksmanship and firearms handling standards appear to have fallen. In 2012 I was talking to two London City Airport firearms officers who on the face of it seemed to have little knowledge of combat shooting techniques, when I asked them if they took their weapons home with them to enable them to become completely familiar their ‘tools of the trade’ they laughed and said, “No chance”! And looked a little apprehensive at the prospect, how odd I thought!

Now, as more and more, ‘Armed Response Officer’ mishaps come to public attention perhaps that apprehension was not that odd after all! :|

Taking into account that the PSNI carry their firearms on duty and at home, unlike their highly trained colleagues ((armed response) in the rest of the UK. Their number of negligent discharges in lower that forces in the rest of the UK, one is to many. As stated the amount of training PSNI officers receive on firearms a small part of their overall training, but is obviously seen as adequate.

ACCIDENTAL DISCHARGE LEAGUE TABLE:

Metropolitan Police 56

Northern Ireland 31

Bedfordshire 3

Devon and Cornwall 2

Lincolnshire Police 2

Cheshire Police have used their weapons 21 times in 'animal destructions' in three years - more than any other force

feel as if i have to defend my statement against blunderbust here,,,,,is it funny or was that just the way i phrased my story you ceem to miss my point and have a go at me...well like your firearms officers we get interviewed before we get a cert over here and yes if they think your not fit you wont get one,,,, the point was that here is someone who has been trained to do a job and should know better, many of the other posts would suggest that incidents are quite common some rather silly but all potential for fatal results, just to make you feel better did it make me laugh no just made me think "what an absolute **** " our forces go through firearms training on a regular basis think its yearly and there is a stringint pass level we have some of the best trained firearms ppl in britain who work under great threat and who carry firearms all the time (bobby with a truncheon not mush use here......)so for someone who has the benifit of all this training to have done this well yes then i do think he aint as clued up as he should be...........

All this training? What training? I fired more rounds in the first two months of this year than most police would see in a full year. An accidental discharge from the psni is not a surprise to be honest. They're not even allowed to use their duty pistols to practice in their own time. If you want to get good at something you need to practice. Something our police force doesn't do frequently enough.