firearms officers...dont you just love em!!!!

millrace

Nds happen, it is a fact of life. I served 22 years and saw my fair share, thankfully none of my own! the post above about the army having several daily is utter codswallop. It happens, it is a fact of life, and most usually happens on the teeny weeny 9 inch range outside the guardroom.........(unloading bay) Bored, cold, very tired soldier who has been on duty for ages, 0400 in the morning, gets his drills wrong, and cocks weapon, mag off and squeezes away.........oops! He will get charged for that, and the fines are not light. I never saw an ND on a range, but did witness a Officer Nd with a Browning 9mm on Op Granby which resulted in him shooting a soldier in the thigh!! He was cleaning his pistol at the time...........

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nds happen, it is a fact of life. I served 22 years and saw my fair share, thankfully none of my own! the post above about the army having several daily is utter codswallop. It happens, it is a fact of life, and most usually happens on the teeny weeny 9 inch range outside the guardroom.........(unloading bay) Bored, cold, very tired soldier who has been on duty for ages, 0400 in the morning, gets his drills wrong, and cocks weapon, mag off and squeezes away.........oops! He will get charged for that, and the fines are not light. I never saw an ND on a range, but did witness a Officer Nd with a Browning 9mm on Op Granby which resulted in him shooting a soldier in the thigh!! He was cleaning his pistol at the time...........

Well, here is some more 'codswallop' for you. Whilst training on a Military range and using the mock up street, I found a discarded SLR which was quietly returned before we signed out from the range. It is not just Bobbies that make mistakes.

Pistols are prob worse for nds while clearing. Did you ever watch the army film with ruperts clearing then shooting his mate. We laughed at the time but it made an impression that i never forgot

Quite so! When I was an AFO with West Yorks, we did our indoor range training at the purpose-built range at Oulton Hall, (now a DeVere hotel)..., but our outdoor range, for both pistol and shotgun was at Pontefract Rifle Club's range at Great Heck. To qualify, we had to shoot a 3" group at 100yards with 1oz rifled slug and just the bead site with a Remmington 870 pump... Not sure what the requirement is these days, that was back in the 80's...

Mike.

Quite so! When I was an AFO with West Yorks, we did our indoor range training at the purpose-built range at Oulton Hall, (now a DeVere hotel)..., but our outdoor range, for both pistol and shotgun was at Pontefract Rifle Club's range at Great Heck. To qualify, we had to shoot a 3" group at 100yards with 1oz rifled slug and just the bead site with a Remmington 870 pump... Not sure what the requirement is these days, that was back in the 80's...

Mike.

Sorry mike I think your memory is playing tricks with you, you would not get a three inch group with rifled slug at 100 yards(doubtful at 50 yards) with a bead sight and for everybody to get that ,not a snowball in hells chance.In fact I would go as far as saying most firearms officers wouldn't do it with a rifle with open sights.Just look at the DSC1 3 shots in 4 inches with a scope and plenty of people fail that first time.

• 2 weeks later...