STRAW BALE HIDE HELP

NickB65

This year the farmer has purchased 250 bales of strew to build hides for me. Very nice of him and we have put them in the RAPE fields which he needs protecting this year..... all very well. I have built simple hides but I am finding it very difficult to adapt from a trad hide with netting where you can see everything going on to a bale hide where all you see is the area above the decoys and sky

The hides are basic squares with one side lower to aide access - when I sit in them I can just see over to about five feet off the ground. Now many of the birds come in high and I cannot help thinking then can see in the hide and me so are not committing. So I take the netting backdrop and put this over as a roof.......

Anyone use straw bale hides and can offer advice as?

This year the farmer has purchased 250 bales of strew to build hides for me. Very nice of him and we have put them in the RAPE fields which he needs protecting this year..... all very well. I have built simple hides but I am finding it very difficult to adapt from a trad hide with netting where you can see everything going on to a bale hide where all you see is the area above the decoys and sky

The hides are basic squares with one side lower to aide access - when I sit in them I can just see over to about five feet off the ground. Now many of the birds come in high and I cannot help thinking then can see in the hide and me so are not committing. So I take the netting backdrop and put this over as a roof.......

Now many of the birds come in high and I cannot help thinking then can see in the hide and me so are not committing. :innocent: and then you are doing the job keeping the birds off :lol: sorry :good: just put you net over the back to hide yourself

If you put a roof on then you will only restrict your shooting, my guess is they are not on the rape and flying to some where else...

A good example is on Jacks Game with Archie Coats....

Watch it a couple of times!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OrCrQrtJNc

What you will see is Digweed, Andy Crow using all the hide for a vast range of shots....as they shoot birds coming from behind..

For my money the answer is in what Archie says when they get out of the landrover....

TEH

If you put a roof on then you will only restrict your shooting, my guess is they are not on the rape and flying to some where else...

A good example is on Jacks Game with Archie Coats....

Watch it a couple of times!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OrCrQrtJNc

What you will see is Digweed, Andy Crow using all the hide for a vast range of shots....as they shoot birds coming from behind..

For my money the answer is in what Archie says when they get out of the landrover....

TEH

Thanks for the reminder about the video...... watched it loads of time but not recently and there were my answers.........

Used this one and a wee bit better than your average bale hide.Great for the geese,all night foxing,cushies and varminting carrion with a few home comforts in it too.

S1030128_zps53a701cd.jpgS1030127_zpsa1b952a3.jpgS1030126_zps1f69a4c6.jpgS1030123_zps4fd53f5c.jpgef66c996-ce66-4ed3-8010-0550f323981e_zps

That looks nice and snug, but it would do my head in trying to shoot out of that,

It is not the design of a bale hide that is important it is the siting of it.

You're quite lucky that this farmer is so accommodating. One field we shoot is 83 acres. Some times there are about 600 birds or so on it at any one time. We usually put 3 guns on to keep the birds moving. Even then we need a lot of flags in the middle. I would love to have a couple of bale hides set up somewhere in the middle. I will approach the farm manager next year when rape will be on again see if we can.

That looks nice and snug, but it would do my head in trying to shoot out of that,

Not at all fella.

The wee opening was for rifle,air rifle,but if you look at the pic with the hide,quad and doos,on the right hand side of the bale you will see where part of the side and top was on a slide mechanism and would fit three folk shooting shotguns so it wouldnt have done anyones heed in at all.I should have took a pic with the panel slid back but forgot.It was also built on a chassis and was towed to a suitable spot.Fools proof.

Edited by sako751sg

Not at all fella.

The wee opening was for rifle,air rifle,but if you look at the pic with the hide,quad and doos,on the right hand side of the bale you will see where part of the side and top was on a slide mechanism and would fit three folk shooting shotguns so it wouldnt have done anyones heed in at all.I should have took a pic with the panel slid back but forgot.It was also built on a chassis and was towed to a suitable spot.Fools proof.

Ah, well that makes all the difference.