Fresh Rape

Buck  Hunter

The rape is providing good shooting. Went out Saturday and found another shooter was where I wanted to be, so drove to where a field had just been rolled,you could see grain on the surface and pigeons already feeding.Set up and had 40+ going back Thursday !

The rape will bloody fly up this winter, mega warm for this time of year with hardly any rain for a change ,

Drilled in on 22nd sept ,

Shooting it at the latest 15th november and thats leaving it late ,

DID SOMEONE MENTION GLOBAL WARMING WAS A BAD THING

" Matts sitting / shaking in corner gun in hand surrounded by a mountain of special pigeon waiting for november "

got a load of young rape up here......loads of birds flying about......just not interested in the rape yet............but other reports in norfolk are different....depends what crops you have in your area , and if they are still feeding on the stubbles......

The rape on my perm is about 5” tall already but not that many pigeons. I went for a look yesterday and scared off 30 or so, went back 30 minutes later and they had not returned. I tried putting decoys out a week or so ago and they just weren’t interested.

5" tall already that must of been drilled very early then ,

Unless i have missed something here and your rape is 5" tall the birds may have been and gone , cause my rule of thumb is they will cane it when its about two to 4 " inch tall and when they cant get in on it due to height they will leave it till its cut ,im sat here scratching my head !

5" tall already that must of been drilled very early then ,

Unless i have missed something here and your rape is 5" tall the birds may have been and gone , cause my rule of thumb is they will cane it when its about two to 4 " inch tall and when they cant get in on it due to height they will leave it till its cut ,im sat here scratching my head !

I'm sorry, but I really don't think that is the case.

The rape will bloody fly up this winter, mega warm for this time of year with hardly any rain for a change ,

Drilled in on 22nd sept ,

Shooting it at the latest 15th november and thats leaving it late ,

DID SOMEONE MENTION GLOBAL WARMING WAS A BAD THING

" Matts sitting / shaking in corner gun in hand surrounded by a mountain of special pigeon waiting for november "

its been peeing it down 2 days solid around here I,m only approx. 15 miles from chorley

they usually go on the rape about late December,jan mainly shooting on it January and feb, also you might be surprised that they feed on it in april and may when its growing tall in the bare patches

Edited by yickdaz

Sorry guys upon reading my post back it didnt make it clear what i was geting at,i ment the birds where i shoot dont seem to go mad for it after its like 4 inch high simpy cause its drilled so close together in the field ..... no patches at all , now obviously round the edge of the field but defo not in the thick of it , hope this is clear , sorry for my misleading post first time round

And yickdaz remember it has to start raining somewhere , 15 mile is a bloody long way !