new car tax monthly payments

ferguson_tom

Yes, annoyingly it starts Nov 1st. So those taxing in October (you and me) still have to pay a 10% surcharge for 6-month tax when in 4 wks we would have only had to pay 5% and get monthly payments.

thanks,

rick

Still a good deal for the government and money raiser for the coffers. 5% net I bet there are a few people on here that would advance the money for 5% net these days. Better than putting it in any bank.

The other nice little earner is that now tax has to be stopped at time of sale and started again by the new owner, the old owner pays till the end of the month and the new owner has to pay from the beginning of the same month. So every time a 2nd hand car is sold DVLA get a months Road Fund Licence for nowt....:-o

If I was charging 2 customers for the same work Rouge Traders would soon be onto me for fraud.

It surly wouldn't have been to difficult to sort it out on a daily basis.

The other nice little earner is that now tax has to be stopped at time of sale and started again by the new owner, the old owner pays till the end of the month and the new owner has to pay from the beginning of the same month. So every time a 2nd hand car is sold DVLA get a months Road Fund Licence for nowt....:-o

If I was charging 2 customers for the same work Rouge Traders would soon be onto me for fraud.

It surly wouldn't have been to difficult to sort it out on a daily basis.

That's always been the case though

When you get a refund on car tax you only ever got full months remaining and equally if you purchased a car on the 25th of the month, although you only need a weeks tax, you had to purchase it to a backdated 1st of the month

I don't disagree that this could have been eradicated with this change in method thought

Edited by LondonLuke

That's always been the case though

When you get a refund on car tax you only ever got full months remaining and equally if you purchased a car on the 25th of the month, although you only need a weeks tax, you had to purchase it to a backdated 1st of the month

I don't disagree that this could have been eradicated with this change in method thought

Yes very true but now you have no option, the tax will be surrendered whereas before you could pass the tax on, in effect for every car that would have been sold with tax an extra whole months tax will now be earnt by the dvla

It's going to slow the private used car sales by quite a bit

All car sales will be hit by this. If your buying a car you won't bother getting it till the first of a month. Unless the tax is very little.

A big 4x4 is not cheap to tax.

The government save on processing tax discs and gain on all car sales so are tens of millions better off. On top you just know we are going to get stitched up along the line for more money.

Figgy

A possible loop hole would to declare SORN on the vehicle at the end of the month. New owner purchases your vehicle and taxes it at the beginning of the next month :ninja:

which is fine if you can plan a buying strategy

If you can't afford much and your old motor conks out mid month then you'll pay for your bad luck

It'll cost you a whole extra month between losing half a month and paying for half a month ....... plus the seller will lose half a month

Edited by Paul223

technically, the car is still taxed untill the DVLA have the change of owner slip land in front of them. so.... how long does it take royal fail to get the notification to the dvla?

at best, 24 hours. so at least enough time to get the car home from pretty much anywhere in the uk. :ninja: