Price of diesel

aris

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

£1.30 /ltr at Murco. I don't use supermarket diesel, after reading all the reports about it not being good quality. It does'nt harm your engine, but according to these reports, decreases your miles per gallon usage, which wipes out the savings per ltr.

my brother delivers fuel to garages and some supermarkets the fuel comes from the same tanks at the refinery so no difference at all.atb

my brother delivers fuel to garages and some supermarkets the fuel comes from the same tanks at the refinery so no difference at all.atb

That's what I read. Other's have suggested that some of the tanks have different compartments. I don't know if this is true or not.

Some reports:

http://www.autofuelfix.com/blog/supermarket-fuel-vs-branded-fuel-whats-difference

£1.30 /ltr at Murco. I don't use supermarket diesel, after reading all the reports about it not being good quality. It does'nt harm your engine, but according to these reports, decreases your miles per gallon usage, which wipes out the savings per ltr.

At least you are supporting the local refinery http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-28580668

I avoid Tesco as much on principle as their diesel quality. When they 1st arrived here the prices were much the cheapest for miles around. Within a year about 10 local filling stations had closed down so those nice folks at Tesco put their prices up.

My diesel is quieter, smoother, pulls better and goes noticeably further on standard grade Esso. Whatever the tanker drivers might say, all 3 of my sons and I agree that our cars run better and further on branded fuel such as Esso. Also around here it's cheaper than the local Tesco and I still get clubcard points.

A good tread on Hones John!

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=89013

Confusion reigns it appears, or does it?

Mon 24 Jan 2011 11:39 Diesel - Supermarket or Brand - gfewster

It's all the same stuff guys. It all comes from the same refineries. They all chuck their branded additives in, but they make no difference and it's only to give the advertising boys something to talk about in the adverts. Seriously, if they didn't then what would they put in the adverts? "Fill up at Shell. We have diesel and petrol. And pasties."

Not that BP or Shell would want you believing that.

As someone near the top of the thread says, do the maths. You might think you notice a difference, but that is inbuilt human bias and the numbers will show no difference.

The only way you'll ever notice a difference is if one filling station goes onto (or comes off) winter diesel sooner than another, then you'll be getting slightly different stuff at different places. My numbers show slightly lower mpg in winter, but whether that's a difference in winter diesel or just the effect of lower ambient temperature, I don't know.

LikeReply to this message | Report message as offensive | Link

Around here the name brand diesel is the same price or within a penny of the supermarkets. My local Esso is the cheapest of them all - currently 125.9 - 1p less than the supermarketsl. Why risk it with supermarket fuel when it is virtually the same price elsewhere?

Edited by aris

Around here the name brand diesel is the same price or within a penny of the supermarkets. My local Esso is the cheapest of them all - currently 125.9 - 1p less than the supermarketsl. Why risk it with supermarket fuel when it is virtually the same price elsewhere?

Arent there some minimum standards for deisel like BS or whatever? I have used Sainsburys for years with no problems - I know Shell smells a lot more but I put that down to the source of the oil?

A good tread on Hones John!

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=89013

Confusion reigns it appears, or does it?

Mon 24 Jan 2011 11:39 Diesel - Supermarket or Brand - gfewster

It's all the same stuff guys. It all comes from the same refineries. They all chuck their branded additives in, but they make no difference and it's only to give the advertising boys something to talk about in the adverts. Seriously, if they didn't then what would they put in the adverts? "Fill up at Shell. We have diesel and petrol. And pasties."

Not that BP or Shell would want you believing that.

As someone near the top of the thread says, do the maths. You might think you notice a difference, but that is inbuilt human bias and the numbers will show no difference.

The only way you'll ever notice a difference is if one filling station goes onto (or comes off) winter diesel sooner than another, then you'll be getting slightly different stuff at different places. My numbers show slightly lower mpg in winter, but whether that's a difference in winter diesel or just the effect of lower ambient temperature, I don't know.

I thought the drop in mpg was down to me fitting the winter tyres :/

Arent there some minimum standards for deisel like BS or whatever? I have used Sainsburys for years with no problems - I know Shell smells a lot more but I put that down to the source of the oil?

Never noticed a difference in smell :)

I know that Shell premium diesel is a blend of regular and synthetic fuels.