How hard is this

K.A.T.S

It's not that hard.

Whereabouts in the world are you?

I find it helps if you can identify pigeons causing damage, and it also helps if you appear to know what you're talking about when you meet a farmer.

Edited by motty

Replied to these topics before, people asking seem to take little or no notice of what they're told though!

If you're just driving round asking every farmer in the area for the shooting on their land I'm not surprised you're getting knocked back. Why would they want to just give you the shooting?

Wait until you can at least spot a field where pigeons are causing damage I.e drilling/rape/laid corn then you can tell them you've noticed a number of pigeons eating the crop and causing damage....would a day out on the field be ok, just for the one day and nothing more. That's the way to start and get your foot in the door, in my opinion!

• 2 weeks later...

Whys that ? plenty of farmers own their land and even tenant farmers have the right to allow someone to control pests in most cases.

Agree..... Have got permission direct from owner farmers and from a farm manager (non owner but with authority to grant permission) both had crops to protect. As others have mentioned keep your eye out for activity then approach in person. Some more tips dress smart, be courteous, and polite. Once you get the perm offer shot birds for eating and drop off a bottle of whisky, case fo beer / cider etc at Xmas. ATB Andra......

Just my tuppenceworth.

Edited by Andra

• 1 month later...

I've found it impossible to find land around here (Purton, Wiltshire) as it's all taken up despite countless hours knocking on doors, speaking to friends/neighbors/family, going to auctions frequented by farmers and getting my face known, speaking to local businesses that i can think of that *may* have a bit of land and over 5 years since moving back I've not had a regular permission, a day here or there to sort out a particular problem, but never a regular permission despite always dressing smart, being polite and courteous every time it's just never gone onto a regular permission, but if the farmer/small holder/stable gets over run again i get a phone call (way too rare for my liking) to take care of it.

that being said, although i get disheartened i don't give up and still constantly try to get permission and I've been lucky enough taken by a couple of members on here, who's generosity will be repaid once I'm in to do so, so keep it up and one day it'll all come together...... at least that's what I'm hoping lol

i found it almost impossible here, everyone i approched was already 'sorted', fairs fair i guess, i ended up going back to oxfordshire where i grew up and asked a few farmers there and now have a few great permissions, even if it does mean an 80 mile round trip to shoot :good:

• 4 weeks later...

I have been driving around all week, approaching farmers and land owners. didn't realise how hard it would be to get permission to shoot.

I'm sorry, but I have to laugh when I see post's like this, as most similar posts give the impression of giving up as permission has not been gained, it took me just over two years of asking, before getting my first permission for shooting, and I'm a full time pest controller with certifications coming out my ear holes

I have been driving around all week, approaching farmers and land owners. didn't realise how hard it would be to get permission to shoot.

How do you start your pitch when you approach the farmers/land owner?

Waving the dreaded permission slip is something I have never employed....at the moment rape is your best chance as any, you wont find many farmers out in the field spraying etc, gas guns are a bit of a give away along side the flying kites.

Easy to describe a field with that type of kit in them in them, at least you cant add/use that info as part of you pitch...

TEH