Maybe I should have moved?

Passionforangling

After a frustrating day weather wise yesterday when I spent the afternoon bored stiff watching Escape to the Country I was pleased to see the forecast was set fair for today.

About 10.00am I got on my bicycle and had a ride up the lane about half a mile away where there are 4 recently drilled fields. Three are quite large on one side of the lane with a much smaller one on the other side that is not really shootable because of the proximity of houses and a main road. Anyway, the far field of the three looked promising with a couple of hundred pigeons already on it and a good number of crows as well.

I watched for a while and there appeared to be no obvious flight lines with pigeons joining the already assembled masses from a variety of directions. So, home to get the gear and I was back there about midday and set up about 25 yards from a large oak that I had seen a few birds in earlier.

When I got to the field the pigeons and crows all got up with most, but by no means all, heading for the small unshootable field.

I popped the rotary out about 30 yards out and 10 of the mankiest dead pigeons ever ( they had been saved to go out Wednesday but that never happened either) in a pattern around them.

It was quiet to begin with but then it picked up a bit although the pigeons didn't seem to be that interested in the decoys and I ended the afternoon with 24, not big, but reasonable for me! I was trying out a new gun which will take some getting used to I think but with probably about 100 cartridges fired I hope my average improves. It was raining as I packed up so I haven't had time to count the actual number....but it was a lot!

Anyway, what was interesting was that at about 2.00pm a strong flight line developed about 150 yards to my left with birds obviously heading to that small field on the other side of the lane. The interception point would have been in the second field on my side of the lane, and although 150 yards as the crow flies it would have been double that to get to the only gaps in the hedgerows and I couldn't face it because the ground was quite heavy after all the rain we had here yesterday.

So I stayed put and although I enjoyed my day I do wonder if I would have had some easier decoying if I had moved?

go with your instincts if you think you need to move act on it, many times I have done the same in the past and stayed put because it would of been a lot of faffing around taking decoys in packing kit up then walking to next spot then setting up again but I make myself do it now and more than not it pays off