Plastic fouled barrel

delburt0

Long story short picked a new gun up 3 days ago second outing today was cleaned after the first outing no problem.

When cleaning today I noticed a 2" long grey mark about 5mm wide at the chamber end just at the start of the cone ( I have shot plas wad today )

obviously on the chrome barrels it stands out a mile I've rodded it for best part of a hr and it's still there I think it might have faded a little but now I've lost natural light it's hard to tell.

Anyone had this before sensible replies welcomed.

Atb delburt0...

Some guns seem to suffer from it more than others , my versamax tends to suffer , my solution is to ignore it , its not damaging the gun and its not effecting performance so why worry.

If you really must remove it you will need to soak it in a solvent bore cleaner.

Some guns seem to suffer from it more than others , my versamax tends to suffer , my solution is to ignore it , its not damaging the gun and its not effecting performance so why worry.

If you really must remove it you will need to soak it in a solvent bore cleaner.

Or pour boiling water down the barrel :whistling:

First time I cleaned it the bore was spotless it was only after today crow shooting, but it has had array of carts through it today, I no it does not affect the gun but i only got it out of the box on Monday I suppose it's like ripping a new pair of new jeans when you where a kid :-)

Edited by delburt0

Went down the acetone and drill route worked for about 15 seconds before by bronze mop packed in and fell to bits no spare as I always use a bore snake as a rule,

Soaked in legia then bore snake done it twice and it's just about gone there's a very big improvement my arms are aching and I'd rather be watching racing but hey ho.

Least there's 20 cans in my pigeon freezer in the garage ;-)

DellburtO I had same when I tried the drill the twisted wire part came out of the brass thread but.

On chrome lined guns I never worried about it as it only builds up to a point as it self cleans beyond a certain point.

On a non chromed lined bores I take it out incase it traps moisture or causes any rust or pitting.

Be interested in webers method of turbo brush and cleanzoil, is a turbo brush the spiral Turks head type as I have one and thought of getting cleanzoil patches to put round it. I normally wrap a soaked patch round mine and start scrubbing but it takes an age, have started using a Payne Gallway chamber brush with bore solvent then Napier ultra clean on a jag turn it over to mop out then kitchen roll before oiling with a mop. Would like a faster method.

Figgy

Edited by figgy

DellburtO I had same when I tried the drill the twisted wire part came out of the brass thread but.

On chrome lined guns I never worried about it as it only builds up to a point as it self cleans beyond a certain point.

On a non chromed lined bores I take it out incase it traps moisture or causes any rust or pitting.

Be interested in webers method of turbo brush and cleanzoil, is a turbo brush the spiral Turks head type as I have one and thought of getting cleanzoil patches to put round it. I normally wrap a soaked patch round mine and start scrubbing but it takes an age, have started using a Payne Gallway chamber brush with bore solvent then Napier ultra clean on a jag turn it over to mop out then kitchen roll before oiling with a mop. Would like a faster method.

Figgy

Mr. Potter and DaveTG have both tried and approved the turbo brush and Clenzoil remedy for plastic fouling.

I received an email from DaveTG about a week ago, it asked me to put two more bottles of the Clenzoil in my car for collection at the next shoot.

"anything that's so good has to be banned sometime soon; I'll stock up whilst I can"

Yes the turbo brush is a spirally wound looped brush.

I sell the brushes on ebygumbay, the margin on Clenzoil isn't sufficient to allow me to also sell it on there.

My webshop needs some serious updating.

I'm at the Tackle & Gun show tomorrow; I'll respond to PMs for prices and options on Tuesday when I'm back in the shop.

The Turbo Brush can be purchased individually for £4.95 including 1st. Class Postage.

I can do Paypal.

I have 12 & 20 gauge in stock. I will increase the range when I next order which will probably be after Christmas.

webber

post-258-0-06380500-1413143033_thumb.jpg

Edited by webber

Best thing to do, is after you have cleaned it give it a Good spray down the barrels with Napier and put it in the cupboard. When you come back a few days later, give it a very light spray and wrap a patch around your brush and push it through.

Works like a charm, as they say, time is the best healer.

Got the turbo brush and clenzoil off webber tried this and it didn't work, (even though excellent product and service) I had the gun out yesterday and all of the hardworking I did removing the so thought plastic fouling returned again after 3 shots where fired, also in the exact same place as before something says it is not fouling but barrel , the gun is going back Monday as the recoil pad has also split after been used twice..

Not a happy bunny at the mo...

Ant thoughts on the barrel thoughts appreciated..

Edited by delburt0

I put this on another earlier thread, try it out, not much effort needed in operation.

It looks to me as if it is sitting in the barrel in lumps, if it is I have had similar fouling on a much smaller scale on my o/u and what I used to remove it was this. I made up a tool by taking an old worn out bronze brush, unscrewing the metal spiral from the Parker Hale part then finding a suitably sized steel washer, just a little larger than the p/h holder diameter and putting a precision edge on the washer using wet and dry paper on a flat board, screw this to the holder with what I believe was a BA threaded screw fix the assembled tool to your cleaning rod and gently scrape away! Worked a treat for me, but use with care.