Plastic fouled barrel

delburt0

I put this on another earlier thread, try it out, not much effort needed in operation.

It looks to me as if it is sitting in the barrel in lumps, if it is I have had similar fouling on a much smaller scale on my o/u and what I used to remove it was this. I made up a tool by taking an old worn out bronze brush, unscrewing the metal spiral from the Parker Hale part then finding a suitably sized steel washer, just a little larger than the p/h holder diameter and putting a precision edge on the washer using wet and dry paper on a flat board, screw this to the holder with what I believe was a BA threaded screw fix the assembled tool to your cleaning rod and gently scrape away! Worked a treat for me, but use with care.

I do not think this is fouling but a (Friday afternooner) it looks as though it is down to bare metal giving a cast iron look compared with the chrome,

And as for your question will I've never been much good so I could probably use a flintlock and not notice lol ;-)

I put this on another earlier thread, try it out, not much effort needed in operation.

It looks to me as if it is sitting in the barrel in lumps, if it is I have had similar fouling on a much smaller scale on my o/u and what I used to remove it was this. I made up a tool by taking an old worn out bronze brush, unscrewing the metal spiral from the Parker Hale part then finding a suitably sized steel washer, just a little larger than the p/h holder diameter and putting a precision edge on the washer using wet and dry paper on a flat board, screw this to the holder with what I believe was a BA threaded screw fix the assembled tool to your cleaning rod and gently scrape away! Worked a treat for me, but use with care.

I take it you don't buy new guns.

I get plastic deposits in my barrels mainly from around six to eight inches from the chamber.yes it is a pain but I just keep at it with the brushes and legia or wd40 until it's clear.ten minutes or an hour it has to be done.I am not to keen on pouring boiling water or any chemicals down them.

I do not think this is fouling but a (Friday afternooner) it looks as though it is down to bare metal giving a cast iron look compared with the chrome,

And as for your question will I've never been much good so I could probably use a flintlock and not notice lol ;-)

I see from your post that you think that a greater problem than fouling may exist, a solution to which should be sought from a gunsmith.

I take it you don't buy new g

All my guns are spotless and unmarked, tubes are flawless had them all for many years.

I see from your post that you think that a greater problem than fouling may exist, a solution to which should be sought from a gunsmith.

All my guns are spotless and unmarked, tubes are flawless had them all for many years.

That's why it's going back tommorow for inspection from the gunsmiths.

I was not having a go over making cleaning products just think improvising with washers etc goes against any warranties given if anything went wrong.

Atb del...

Plastic fouling will not respond to any acetone as the wad's are made of a composition mainly of PE (polyethylene) the same plastic as the bottle's of acetone come in.

acetone is the primary solvent for cleaning nitrocellulose powder residue as that is the primary solvent used in it's manufacture .