Young lab on short retrieves

allanm

Hi folks ,

I've a young lab of 19 month who is all I could ask for apart from an annoying problem of messing about with shirt seen retrieves , if it's a fairly short retrieve and especially if it's out in open and he doesn't have to hunt for it he mouths the bird a bit (doesn't mark it ) and will usually look at me and will come a bit with some encouragement but will again stop and mess about ? He's done this a few times now and can't work out what I've done to cause this and more importantly how I can cure it ? On longer harder if you like retrieves he'll bring it back and put it in my hand . From a pup I didn't let him pick every dummy so I can keep him steady which as worked ,as I say everything else he is spot on and has had some brilliant retrieves out of thick cover etc

Any help is appreciated to what I can try .

I don't think I worded post properly , as I don't send him for all the easy retrieves but even if or when I do he sometimes is slow on return with messing about

I don't think I worded post properly , as I don't send him for all the easy retrieves but even if or when I do he sometimes is slow on return with messing about

Thanks for replied folks , he's been with me to 3 duck flights (not busy flights with lots of shots), he's retrieved 3 or4 geese and pigeons n rooks from about 16 months . He'll be mainly a wildfiwling dog but I'm also in a small pheasant syndicate so basically he'll be doing a but of everything . I'm very very happy with him apart from the problem I mentioned but il try as Kent suggested and don't give him any retrieves I can easily pick myself

Thanks again Allan

Edited by allanm

There's nothing wrong with giving dogs short easy retrieves as it helps build confidence as they should find quick . But in a typical training I might throw 20 dummies but only let the dog have 6 the rest I'll pick whilst the dog sits up. Mind you if I've sat on the marsh all eve or morning and only have one shot and it's falls in a easily accessible place 10 yards away and the dog has sat nicely all through the flight I'll let him have it.