Police starting unannounced visits today to legal firearms owners

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm struggling to think what is different here though - did they not always do this if there was a suspicion of wrongdoing? From what the article says:

The new Home Office guidance states: “Where it is judged necessary, based on specific intelligence in light of a particular threat, or risk of harm, the police may undertake an unannounced home visit to check the security of a certificate holder’s firearms and shotguns. It is not expected that the police will undertake an unannounced home visit at an unsocial hour unless there is a justified and specific requirement to do so on the grounds of crime prevention or public safety concerns, and the police judge that this action is both justified and proportionate.”

It doesn't sound like they are going to pro-actively use police time and money to randomly knock on certificate holders doors.

It's simply another knee jerk reaction in order to make the public feel safer.

As long as you are complying with the conditions of your SGC let them in if they come around.

Ultimately it will be noted down as another visit and will go towards really impressive police figures rather than actually reducing crime.

If they (the police leaders) were seriously trying to reduce gun crime they would be taking the ILLEGALLY HELD WEAPONS OFF THE STREETS!

PLEASE NOTE;

This is not designed to be a police bashing post, I am happy with what the everyday copper does, I just don't like what their superiors put in place to placate public ignorance!

Guest cookoff013

some things concern me about this......

Police concern that members of the shooting community may be “vulnerable to criminal or terrorist groups”
How does one become vulnerable to a criminal or terrorist group? surely there must be some law against forming these "illegal and terrorist groups"
“The public and especially the shooting community can greatly assist the police in gathering intelligence and protecting our communities by being vigilant around firearms licensing. The shooting community is close, and will recognise sudden behavioural changes in fellow shooters that could cause concerns. However, they may not feel like they can act and the Crimestoppers hotline empowers people to voice concerns anonymously.”
How can the public and or the shooting community gather "credible" intelligence to protect the community?
How can an individual / community be vigilant around firearms licensing?
The new Home Office guidance states: “Where it is judged necessary, based on specific intelligence in light of a particular threat, or risk of harm, the police may undertake an unannounced home visit to check the security of a certificate holder’s firearms and shotguns.

?

Police firearms enquiry officers and neighbourhood officers have visited shooting clubs and registered firearms dealers in recent months to highlight concerns surrounding the potential for terrorists or mass killers to exist within the shooting community.
Highlighting concerns for the potential terrorists and mass killers? what?

With my renewal, there is a topic on here somewhere, it was as intensive as my initial interview.

I was told that they would be doing unannounced checks, especially on farm houses, that was nice, for saying we were sat in our farm house having this discussion!

Although, I was told they would have to ring beforehand anyway.....

im more concerned by the comments from BASC, I would have expected them to say, that the police have no reason to visit unannounced as all requirements were met by the licence holder at the time of application.

im in no way against the police reducing crime and terrorism but is this policy really going to do that?

im sure this thread will run for pages and pages.

I wonder If David BASC on this forum will provide more information on what BASC stance is and how they decided on the advise they have issued to members

Perhaps it is to justify the increase cost of the firearms certs.

Pity they didnt use the manpower to get renewals done on time instead , BASC tell me each time I contact them that if my new certificate does not come through before the old one expires you are holding firearms illegally although feo says differently .

No problem with this.my guns are kept locked in cabinet unless I am using them.the only questionable bit is cost.in my area the firearms has been given over to g4s to save money yet if the ordinary policeman is now going to be doing visits then this will put up costs to the force negating any saving.also my farm buildings have been targeted by intruders a few times and the police have been to busy to attend so quite where the manpower will come from is anyone's guess. Maybe the hobby bobby's.

Because they dont have the address of the illegal firearms owners

Ok that is fair enough, but we constantly have to jump through hoops, being treated like criminals when the vast majority of us are acting within the law.

I'm struggling to think what is different here though - did they not always do this if there was a suspicion of wrongdoing? From what the article says:

The new Home Office guidance states: “Where it is judged necessary, based on specific intelligence in light of a particular threat, or risk of harm, the police may undertake an unannounced home visit to check the security of a certificate holder’s firearms and shotguns. It is not expected that the police will undertake an unannounced home visit at an unsocial hour unless there is a justified and specific requirement to do so on the grounds of crime prevention or public safety concerns, and the police judge that this action is both justified and proportionate.”

It doesn't sound like they are going to pro-actively use police time and money to randomly knock on certificate holders doors.

Yes police have always done this. It is clearly said where there is suspicion to indicate there might be wrong doing, police MAY (it doesn't say will, must or even should, but MAY) undertake an unannounced home visit. So effectively nothing has changed.

The only thing that has concerned me was the Crimestopper line. This is what they did last year, in various areas through a radio show. Call crimestoppers if you have concern about anyone of your relatives or friends owning guns.