Police starting unannounced visits today to legal firearms owners

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"How does one become vulnerable to a criminal or terrorist group? surely there must be some law against forming these "illegal and terrorist groups"

I watched a programme about Islamic radicalisation last week, apparently according to the ex-leader of the EDL it's all about the ginger, and I must agree that whenever I have seen a shot of a european person who has converted to Islam they have been ginger headed with a straggley ginger beard, so if you have ginger hair and either an SGC or FAC you could be getting a knock on the front door from her majesty's finest anytime .............

Can I hear "I want, More Money" to administer this AND I want more officers AND feo's. Are higher fees on the agenda by any chance. Anyway anyone that wants a gun must be a criminal !

Exactly, this is my point. They are treating us like criminals, when 99% of us are law abiding people taking part in a legal hobby.

Your theory about more money could be a good point, they are maybe wanting to hike up renewal and application fees.

Yes police have always done this. It is clearly said where there is suspicion to indicate there might be wrong doing, police MAY (it doesn't say will, must or even should, but MAY) undertake an unannounced home visit. So effectively nothing has changed.

The only thing that has concerned me was the Crimestopper line. This is what they did last year, in various areas through a radio show. Call crimestoppers if you have concern about anyone of your relatives or friends owning guns.

Which begs the question - what has changed? No legislation has changed, just the 'guidance'. I think this is a bit of a case of 'being seen to be doing something' about a problem which quite frankly doesn't exist, but will keep the masses happy.

I'd like to hear what BASC have to say about this - they must know a bit more in-depth detail about the rationale behind this.

Sorry mods, can you merge the topic I put in off topic into this one.

Another question I have; surely would they not need to write to all firearms holders to say this is going to happen? They couldn't expect everyone to see a link on a website. Would be nice to be given a heads up so that I have an idea why the police are at my door.

Another question I have; surely would they not need to write to all firearms holders to say this is going to happen? They couldn't expect everyone to see a link on a website. Would be nice to be given a heads up so that I have an idea why the police are at my door.

Technically, from what I can see, the law hasn't changed.

Maybe its just me but i am incandescent - they freely admit we arent a problem, very few guns are stolen and why then visit unannounced - do they expect to catch terrorists in the act of stealing lawfully held firearms?

Maybe its because these lawf - abiding people who are not getting their guns stolen will change behaviour in the face of the terrorist threat and leave their guns out ?

This is a MORONIC proposal and exemplifies all that is bad about public placatory policing.

BASC's response is in my view PATHETIC.

Why dont we just let them do what they want ? after all its not a free society !

Edited by Kes

I dont mind them making an unappointed arrival as long as its at a reasonable time, as i like your good selves on here have nothing to hide. .

But if they are going to have police doing these random checks, then they should give these jobs to those who has been trained

properly in firearms. So they know what their doing and to give proper advice where its needed or asked for.

In no circumstance should an ordinary copper fresh off the beat be given such duties to carry out, with out such training.

It does look like another PR stunt to make the public aware that their doing something to stop the threat of unlicenced firearms being used

or just to keep the law abiding shooters like us in check. Either way it comes across as another ill thought of plan to put shooting as an whole under

more scrutiny then it already is.

DD

I dont mind them making an unappointed arrival as long as its at a reasonable time, as i like your good selves on here have nothing to hide. .

Ah the classic excuse rears its ugly head. "Nothing to hide nothing to fear". People have been prosecuted due to inability for the police to follow the law or know the law. An unannounced home visit as the above quote indicated should only be done if the police have a warrant, a letter of revocation or believe there is going to be a breach of the peace. An unannounced visit due to: we want to make sure you're keeping your firearms safe is I am afraid not enough good reason for it.

Guest cookoff013

if the police did end up giving me a good old "visitation" i`d want to know who is contacting the police about my behavior.

WHO would be "gathering intelligence" about another PERSON?

I would love to be given advice on how to be more vigilant< i dont even know what that means?

would the police tell you who informed the police about concerns?

Edited by cookoff013

if the police did end up giving me a good old "visitation" i`d want to know who is contacting the police about my behavior.

WHO would be "gathering intelligence" about another PERSON?

I would love to be given advice on how to be more vigilant< i dont even know what that means?

would the police tell you who informed the police about concerns?

Don't think so as we might go on a terrorist gun rampage :ninja:

Ah the classic excuse rears its ugly head. "Nothing to hide nothing to fear". People have been prosecuted due to inability for the police to follow the law or know the law. An unannounced home visit as the above quote indicated should only be done if the police have a warrant, a letter of revocation or believe there is going to be a breach of the peace. An unannounced visit due to: we want to make sure you're keeping your firearms safe is I am afraid not enough good reason for it.

I was merely stating that in my eyes i've got nothing to be worried about if they did turn up out of the blue. All my guns an ammo are where their supposed to be an only I know where my keys are. And thats why i said that the Police Officers that are going to carry out these random checks so to say, should be properly trained so they know the laws etc.

Not given to beat coppers of the street who may turn up at willy nilly time for an inspection an they aint got a clue what their inspecting or if someone is breaking the law or not. Hence like you said, prosecutions have been made due to the inability of the police on other occasions, by Police aledgedly in the Know an obviously not.

Not going to bother about this attempt to placate public opinion in this election year, my security is all as it should be, but if they call when I'm out but my wife is at home then I've told her that she should not let them in unless they have a search warrant. They're welcome to call when I'm at home.

Like others, I think it is a waste of precious resources for political ends.

Exactly, me neither. I also store my guns according to the conditions on my license, that doesn't mean that the police won't try to prosecute you for something if they think you are doing someting wrong or don't know the gun law themselves. Not to mention coupled with some of the information from other threads where PCSOs and regular bobbies are doing renewals, I wouldn't be surprised if they for example see your shotgun cartridges not stored "securely" and they inadvertedly try to do you for that saying that it's the law.

I have heard of even some FEOs saying that you have to store shotgun cartridges securely and locked up which is rubbish.

I was told it will happen at some point, new remit for my local force, as was the grilling over my renewal.

I was even told not to put shooting organisation stickers in vehicles, as I'd get my guns stolen and my tyres let down, poo smeared etc

Got my email today,Durham act within home office guidelines that a joke.Better not turn up when me and the missus are all loved up, just my luck, kids at school create an ambions get down to it and rap rap rap on the door.

On a serious note, thay can come anytime they like, as log as they respect my home have the relivant id and are polite.Daft thing making it public however,we'll get terrorists/griminals knocking on our doors impersonating policemen,dont laugh it happened in Durham a few year back.

Edited by Davyo

Not overly keen on having a marked Police vehicle rock up at my house and uniformed officers wanting to come in. I live in a small close of only 8 houses and a couple of the neighbours are curtain twitchers already.

I had exactly that Saturday evening and un arranged visit by 2 uniformed officers to "check the security for my SGC renewal" this was in addition to phone interview with FLO last week! The 2 officers had never done it before and their knowledge was limited.

Are we within our rights to leave them officers outside take the details numbers etc and then ring the firearms unit to check their correct?

Figgy

Of course although its probably the control room rather than liscencing who will be able confirm the identity of the officers at your door. But they aren't genuine what are you going to do?