Ist Gun for Clay shooting

AOK

Hi

I am new to Clay shooting and have so far shot a Beretta Semi auto and a Browning 757 o/u.I am looking to buy my 1st gun and am leaning towards a 28" semi auto (mainly because it feels more comfortable and I shoot better with it).I am considering a Beretta a400 (xcel or explor) or a Benelli Raffaello crio.I believe the Benelli is simple to clean and break down but may have more recoil. Any advice ,suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated.Tnks :)

I would recommend an over and under as your first gun.

Semi's at good guns but not really for a first clay gun. You will find it more socially acceptable with an o/u. As you can control the empty cartridges. And you won't feel out of place at certain events. They are probably a better gun to learn with. A miroku mk38, Browning 525 or berreta 682 or silver pigeon would be best, depending on fit.

Don't get me wrong I love my semi and enjoy shooting it, but if you get more into the clays you will probably wish you began with an o/u and end up buying one.

If your heart is set on the semi. Then go for it.

Just my 2p's worth

Excellent advice above. As I run a clay shooting ground semi autos are a constant worry to me. I can see if an o/u or sxs is open from the other side of the ground - but you are never quite so sure about a s/auto!!!!

There is more to go wrong and often choosey about cartridges.

If you have a problem with recoil then consider one - if not then go o/u is my advice. If you do get a s/a then get a flag or a plastic breach block - people around you will be much more comfortable.

John

Try more than 2 guns before deciding which suits you. Ideally have some lessons with someone who understands gunfit and try plenty of different guns, ALsoi suggest buying used rather than new you will get a better gun for your budget and loose less when you sell.

I concur with above re semi's

you may notice that the serious clay shooters use o/u guns.also with the s/a you are limited by your single choke.the concentration that is broken from having to scrabble around the ground picking up empty cartridges.in trap shooting annoying the person on the stand next to you by showering them with cases.as has been said its your choice but I would agree with the above.

I listened to all that advice about 10 years ago, when I started clay shooting.

I ended up buying a over/under, hating it, not hitting anything with it.

Went off after 6 months and bought a semi, and a PUMP, and have shot ok ever since. I never see much bad feeling, and I shoot at least once a week. I shot with a pump sometimes, in fact did solidly for some years, and I don't think any ones ever said anything ever. I think if you use a breech flag of some kind, people arnt quite so old fashioned any more. I use a sling too, which sometimes raises an eyebrow among the tweedy set in September, but if you think about it, then not only do you have a breech flag but the muzzle isn't waving about either, jobs a good 'un.

Edited by throdgrain

Excellent advice above. As I run a clay shooting ground semi autos are a constant worry to me. I can see if an o/u or sxs is open from the other side of the ground - but you are never quite so sure about a s/auto!!!!

There is more to go wrong and often choosey about cartridges.

If you have a problem with recoil then consider one - if not then go o/u is my advice. If you do get a s/a then get a flag or a plastic breach block - people around you will be much more comfortable.

John

I too ran a shooting ground for some 17 years and I find it hard to accept your criticism of auto shotguns. Whenever we had the odd 'accidental discharge' thankfully all down range, it was from an O/U or rather it's user. How can an auto be any more dangerous than an opening shotgun being removed from a gunslip CLOSED and then waved around whilst the user finds somewhere to put the slip. Next time you have the chance to observe shooters, watch how many remove their gun from the slip, OPEN. Apart from the group that I shoot with, I see very few shooters who carry out this simple task safely. In fact most abandon the slip in the boot of the car and walk around the ground with guns slung over shoulders or waving around in all directions, but hey as long as it is open who gives a ****.

walk around the ground with guns slung over shoulders or waving around in all directions, but hey as long as it is open who gives a ****.

As long as its open it's not going bang................. thats the important bit, don't stand so close if you don't want a whack in the chops respect our personal space!

I started with a auto loved it then went on to the o/u think now should have started with o/u as I have got used to it now but could have saved six months using o/u don't get me wrong my brother only shoots auto and he can shoot aswell as any o/u shooter in his class get what you think you can get used to has said I started with auto and loved it I just thought that on two birds your stuck with one choke as with o/u you can have two chokes in eg 1/2 and 1/4 one for close one for further out birds that's just my thought just try and enjoy

• 2 weeks later...

you wont regret getting the semi auto matey. i know some people have a bit of an issue with semi's on clay shoots, but thats their issue and not yours. dont worry.

the fact is, as long as you respect the gun and the other people around you then a semi is as safe as any over and under or side by side.

:good:

And don't forget to pick your empties up thats my main gripe with semi,s ...

Mind you there are quite a few that shoot O/U and still just eject spent cartridges on to the floor really gets me annoyed.. :no:

I have had a few dirty looks when i have asked them to pick them up and put them in the bins provided if it was my ground i would bar them bloody litter louts.. :ninja:

And don't forget to pick your empties up thats my main gripe with semi,s ...

Mind you there are quite a few that shoot O/U and still just eject spent cartridges on to the floor really gets me annoyed.. :no:

I have had a few dirty looks when i have asked them to pick them up and put them in the bins provided if it was my ground i would bar them bloody litter louts.. :ninja:

totally agree,

not picking up your empties is just plain bad manners. and that goes for S/A users and double barrel users.

before spending out on any form of shotgun have at least a couple of lessons in gun fit etc - that shouldn't cost more than £50 or so - then at least you will have some pointers before opening the wallet big time - cant go wrong with used browning miroku or beretta to begin with - but make sure you take someone who knows guns and gun fit