Recomendations on .22

paddymax123

Hi guys

I have sent of my fac and looking to find out opinions on what is the best .22 rifle on sale today. I am looking to get something brand new rifle with a thumb hole stock preferably, bolt action not semi auto. I have been looking at some rifles like the browning T bolt or the CZ 455th stealth. Any advice/ comments are welcome

Thanks guys

I guess it depends on what the interpretation of "the best" is. I had a cz455 thumbhole from new. The accuracy was pretty lousy. The Varmint barrel, too heavy. Great off a bipod, but too un wieldy at most other times. The crowning was a bit rural and so I thought perhaps that's what you get for the cheaper end of the market. I very nearly went completely the other end of the market, for an Anschutz. However, inspired by others, I bought a cz452 silhouette. The rifle is light, and so dam accurate its extraordinary. I was using it alongside the HMR a week or two back on paper. The groups between the two rifles were exactly the same out to 120 yards, and at 145 yards, it was whacking an old tin can every shot.

So that's the best .22 for me :good:

CZ 452 and you will not go wrong - I also found the varmint barrel a tad heavy but love the gun..... brand new or second hand and you will find yourself a good gun if looked after. Mine cost £250 second hand and I love it... - stripped the stock down and fitted a new trigger spring and it is one lovely gun to shoot.

i have a Sako Finfire, owned for 20 years, just love it and it has just been brought back into production, buy the best

+1 They may be very little difference in accuracy between a CZ and a Finfire but the quality of the Sako is far superior. My finfire is a keeper and a pleasure to use. Lovely rifle :yes:

ATB,

Pat

The Anschutz 1417 thumbhole is a lovely .22 IMO.

I absolutely agree RFB. but at close on £500 more than the silhouette it would be hard for me to justify the extra, and the accuracy I have through mine would be difficult to improve on.

However, money no object and if the accuracy was equal, I would probably have the Annie. :good:

Edited by turbo33

Not wanting to hijack this thread but :) what are the advantages of thumbhole stock?

I'm not a fan of them but for no good reason other than I don't really like the look of them, but I wasn't sure about synthetic stocks until I used one ( my .17 has a synthetic stock and i love it plus I've been sort of looking at semi auto shotguns with synthetic stocks) . I've only ever used an air rifle with a thumbhole and I could not see any advantage, my old rifle with a pistol grip stock was just as accurate!

I guess it depends on what the interpretation of "the best" is. I had a cz455 thumbhole from new. The accuracy was pretty lousy. The Varmint barrel, too heavy. Great off a bipod, but too un wieldy at most other times. The crowning was a bit rural and so I thought perhaps that's what you get for the cheaper end of the market. I very nearly went completely the other end of the market, for an Anschutz. However, inspired by others, I bought a cz452 silhouette. The rifle is light, and so dam accurate its extraordinary. I was using it alongside the HMR a week or two back on paper. The groups between the two rifles were exactly the same out to 120 yards, and at 145 yards, it was whacking an old tin can every shot.

So that's the best .22 for me :good:

I too am waiting after the first visit and assuming all goes well will probably be looking seriously at a CZ .22lr. Does your comments above relate to .22lr against the .17hmr Turbo? Paul

I too am waiting after the first visit and assuming all goes well will probably be looking seriously at a CZ .22lr. Does your comments above relate to .22lr against the .17hmr Turbo? Paul

Not sure what you mean Paul? But was just giving my view on the "best" 22lr. I personally think the CZ452 is a better made rifle than the CZ455. The CZ455 looks the part with its thumbhole stock. But what counts at the end of the day with any make is the accuracy. The question of, "Do I go for 22lr or HMR?" comes up time and time again, if that's what your are asking. Its down to the individuals choice and shooting situations. All I can say really is, as most of my rimfire shooting is 100 yards and under, the 22lr does that in style, is a 1/3 the price to feed and is stupidly quiet. The HMR is a great tool too, but only comes into its own over the .22 at 100+ yards and that returns much less opportunities.

These sort of threads go round and round, what is best?

For general field work you will never need more than a CZ, it will give you accuracy reliability and repeatability, spend double on another rifle and you will not improve on any of that.

If you want to spend more then fine, but don't expect any better results in the field!

ATB!

Not sure what you mean Paul? But was just giving my view on the "best" 22lr. I personally think the CZ452 is a better made rifle than the CZ455. The CZ455 looks the part with its thumbhole stock. But what counts at the end of the day with any make is the accuracy. The question of, "Do I go for 22lr or HMR?" comes up time and time again, if that's what your are asking. Its down to the individuals choice and shooting situations. All I can say really is, as most of my rimfire shooting is 100 yards and under, the 22lr does that in style, is a 1/3 the price to feed and is stupidly quiet. The HMR is a great tool too, but only comes into its own over the .22 at 100+ yards and that returns much less opportunities.

No turbo. Just never heard anyone say that .22lr is as accurate as .17hmr out to that sort of distance and wondered if you were talking about wmr. If I can find a .22lr that's that accurate I'll be over the moon. Paul

i have 2 anschutz 1417s,one daytime,one nightvision,both extremely accurate as long as i do my bit,with a .22 you need to learn your holdover points on your scope,and in the right conditions with the right ammo,120 yds is do-able,but .22 ammo is very fickle,there are plenty of threads on here about dodgy .22 ammo,but on saying that i wouldnt be without mine

have you thought about a mach2,i have one now after selling my hmrs,and although alot of people rubbish the calibre,it does everything the hmr does but the ammo is half the price and double the price of .22,cracking little calibre

No turbo. Just never heard anyone say that .22lr is as accurate as .17hmr out to that sort of distance and wondered if you were talking about wmr. If I can find a .22lr that's that accurate I'll be over the moon. Paul

100+ yards with .22 isnt difficult is it?, last weekend I was managing 10p groups at 120 yards with my trusty old CZ511 (the best .22 semi auto ever made ;)) and I'm not a particularly good shot! and that was with it zerod at 60 with a gusty wind causing trouble.... theres a lot to be said for learning your ranges and mill dots.