Recomendations on .22

paddymax123

100+ yards with .22 isnt difficult is it?, last weekend I was managing 10p groups at 120 yards with my trusty old CZ511 (the best .22 semi auto ever made ;)) and I'm not a particularly good shot! and that was with it zerod at 60 with a gusty wind causing trouble.... theres a lot to be said for learning your ranges and mill dots.

I would tend to agree that with my limited experience with a 511 they are good, the trigger I seem to recall could have been better.

10p groups at 120 yards with a .22lr semi in gusty conditions is better than good! How many shots in these groups?

I would be very happy to achieve that on a still day! :good:

i have 2 anschutz 1417s,one daytime,one nightvision,both extremely accurate as long as i do my bit,with a .22 you need to learn your holdover points on your scope,and in the right conditions with the right ammo,120 yds is do-able,but .22 ammo is very fickle,there are plenty of threads on here about dodgy .22 ammo,but on saying that i wouldnt be without mine

have you thought about a mach2,i have one now after selling my hmrs,and although alot of people rubbish the calibre,it does everything the hmr does but the ammo is half the price and double the price of .22,cracking little calibre

Come on, I am one of those that has no need for a Mach 2, I have never rubbished it per say, it is simply a calibre that has a limited use, for a limited number of people, my understanding is manufacturers are dropping it from their gun range, correct me if I am wrong but I don't believe CZ chamber the Mach 2 in any of their 455 series rifles, and ammo is only now being produced by Alliant (CCI).

There is nothing wrong with the calibre if you have the right need, it is just that where it sits between the .22lr and HMR few people do have the need, in simple terms it is a solution to a problem not many people have.

Please do not suggest ................. it does everything the hmr does.......... it patently obviously doesn't or HMR sales would have died and Mach 2 would have soared, the fact is the Mach2 has died.

:good:

I would tend to agree that with my limited experience with a 511 they are good, the trigger I seem to recall could have been better.

10p groups at 120 yards with a .22lr semi in gusty conditions is better than good! How many shots in these groups?

I would be very happy to achieve that on a still day! :good:

yeah the trigger is pretty naff but after shooting many thousands of rounds through it you get to learn the trigger, quite a bit of creep but with mine at least you know where/when its going to break.

Thats from 5 shots allowing for one flier, I put it down to the new subs I tried, the RWS subs are a different world of accuracy compared to the now defunct winny subs I had used previously and thats off a bipod prone of course.

I'm now thinking I should have given myself more praise :D.... I'm out on the rabbits tomorrow, I'll see if I can do it consistently day to day.

as stated deckers ive had 2 hmrs and sold them both,the hmr is a good calibre,im not disputing that,i would say all rimfire calibres have a limited use,i dont know if cz chamber the round anymore,my gun is a quad and my ammo is hornady

when i say the mach 2 does everything the hmr does as far as im concerned it does,flat shooting from 40yds to 100yds(zeroed at 80),a touch of holdover and 150yds no problem,ample distance for a rabbit or that long range corvid

im not sure but i think the hmr came out before the mach 2,and got such rave reviews everybody took to it like a duck to water,had the mach 2 came out first it may have been a different story,as it is its sales are way down,"died"not yet,"dying" over here ,possibly but sales are still strong in the usa apparently,you say you dont have a need for it,if you didnt have an hmr would you have a need for it,as they do exactly the same job in my eyes

atb dave

as stated deckers ive had 2 hmrs and sold them both,the hmr is a good calibre,im not disputing that,i would say all rimfire calibres have a limited use,i dont know if cz chamber the round anymore,my gun is a quad and my ammo is hornady

when i say the mach 2 does everything the hmr does as far as im concerned it does,flat shooting from 40yds to 100yds(zeroed at 80),a touch of holdover and 150yds no problem,ample distance for a rabbit or that long range corvid

im not sure but i think the hmr came out before the mach 2,and got such rave reviews everybody took to it like a duck to water,had the mach 2 came out first it may have been a different story,as it is its sales are way down,"died"not yet,"dying" over here ,possibly but sales are still strong in the usa apparently,you say you dont have a need for it,if you didnt have an hmr would you have a need for it,as they do exactly the same job in my eyes

atb dave

I have a WMR as well as 2 x .22lr and a HMR.

The HMR comes into its own for power on the fox, accuracy on the Canada and for shooting clean across several large flat sports grounds I control. The Mach2 would be better than a .22lr in places for me but not as useful as a HMR.

The Mach 2 is noisy over a .22lr but doesn't have the grunt or range of the HMR.

I think they are a little different........................

Part # Caliber Bullet Weight(gr) Bullet Sub Brand Box Count 0049 17 HMR 17 Poly-Tip V-Max V-MAX 50 0048 17 Mach 2 17 Poly-Tip V-Max V-MAX 50

Velocity, ft/sec

Load No. Caliber Muzzle 25 50 75 100 0049 17 HMR 2550 2382 2220 2064 1915 0048 17 Mach 2 2010 1863 1724 1594 1471

Energy, ft-lbs

Load No. Caliber Muzzle 25 50 75 100 0049 17 HMR 245 214 186 161 138 0048 17 Mach 2 152 131 112 96 82

Trajectory

Load No. Caliber 25 50 75 100 0049 17 HMR -0.5 0.1 0.3 0.0 0048 17 Mach 2 -0.1 0.7 0.8 0.0

If the mach 2 works for you then I am happy for you! :good:

I'm glad you posted that as I went looking at the figures and by simply looking at the figures could see a reason to have Mach 2... possibly a cheaper round than the hmr but I only pay £11 for 50 anyways and I doubt Mach 2 ammo is as readily available as HMR.

interesting how all the reviews I read compared the Mach 2 round to .22lr and not HMR.

but like you say, whatever floats your boat.

Wandered around the Game Fair a number of years back when I was in the same position as you-looking for my first lr.Nobody could be bothered to give me the time of day until I got to the Edgar Bros stand where they spent a good half an hour showing me their selection and giving me advice-top marks to them. With this customer service in mind I bought the ZKM452 and have never regretted my decision-after over 15 years it still looks like new, has never failed in anyway whatsoever and is as accurate as ever.

I have a WMR as well as 2 x .22lr and a HMR.

The HMR comes into its own for power on the fox, accuracy on the Canada and for shooting clean across several large flat sports grounds I control. The Mach2 would be better than a .22lr in places for me but not as useful as a HMR.

The Mach 2 is noisy over a .22lr but doesn't have the grunt or range of the HMR.

I think they are a little different........................

Part # Caliber Bullet Weight(gr) Bullet Sub Brand Box Count 0049 17 HMR 17 Poly-Tip V-Max V-MAX 50 0048 17 Mach 2 17 Poly-Tip V-Max V-MAX 50

Velocity, ft/sec

Load No. Caliber Muzzle 25 50 75 100 0049 17 HMR 2550 2382 2220 2064 1915 0048 17 Mach 2 2010 1863 1724 1594 1471

Energy, ft-lbs

Load No. Caliber Muzzle 25 50 75 100 0049 17 HMR 245 214 186 161 138 0048 17 Mach 2 152 131 112 96 82

Trajectory

Load No. Caliber 25 50 75 100 0049 17 HMR -0.5 0.1 0.3 0.0 0048 17 Mach 2 -0.1 0.7 0.8 0.0

If the mach 2 works for you then I am happy for you! :good:

Those figures/tables have not come out anywhere near as clear as what I actually posted, they are lifted straight from CCI site if anyone is struggling with them as presented.

Cheers

Cant say much about HMR or WMR bu I have a CZ 452 American with varmint barrel in 22LR.. yes the barrel is a touch on the heavy side but i prefer it, especially on more windy days. would recommend them all day long.. they dont break the bank. accuracy that puts rifles twice (and more) their price to shame. rugged, reliable, will last a lifetime and not a bad looker into the bargain.

Dekers can I ask what your opinion of the WMR compared to the 17HMR?

I do a lot of shooting in a lot of different environments against a lot of different quarry.

I retain a need for a WMR as well as a HMR.

My WMR runs almost exclusively on Hornady 30g V-Max, this is thoroughly efficient pest control ammo, my main use for it is fox and Canada geese, in simple terms you can hit the quarry pretty much anywhere you like with the stuff and they fall down. That is not necessarily the case with HMR and is certainly not the case with .22lr. Many use HMR for rabbit, including me, but I very rarely find the WMR as fist choice on rabbit, in fact I struggle to remember when I last reached for it for rabbits.

My WMR has never been quite as accurate as my HMR, the groups are perhaps 0.25" worse with WMR, the size and effectiveness of the ammo more than make up for this in the environment I use WMR.

As I always say the WMR gives me a feeling of confidence.

It is very difficult to quantify its real use in a day to day environment but odd jobs crop up that shout WMR, it is true to say that more crop up that shout HMR. On the basis I have to solve a lot of different issues, I need the best sensible selection of tools to do the job that I can, many people would not find a need for both and my guess is most would find the HMR more useful.

Thanks dekers I bought a WMR about two months ago now i've been shooting 30 grain V-max. On rabbits and fox and found it to be a cracking little rifle I was just wondering what the difference between the WMR and the HMR was The chap in my local gunshop said with the 30 grain Vmax The WMR was similar to the HMR but I have never short an HMR regards sf1

HMR shoots 17-20gr normally

higher MV but lower Energy across the usable trajectory compared to the WMR

better selection of bullets available for the WMR IMO

better gun all round for anything inside 200yds

outside of 200yds you might say the HMR is easier to get drop date for but personally I would still prefer the BC of the .22 bullet in 30-40gr form