An improvised mornings pigeon shooting

Harnser

went out at 0600 this morning to shoot some rabbits that are digging in on the side a new irrigation lake . Had my trusty Brno .22 rimfire and a bag of bullits . Sat in a hedgerow for two hours and managed to shoot three nice pot rabbits .

I noticed that a lot pigeons were getting down on a field of barley stubble and I mean a lot of pigeons , probably 4 or 5 hundred . I decided to have a drive around this barley stubble and see if I could shoot some with the rimfire . I drove very slowly round the field with the passenger side window down and the rifle across my lap . The birds paid no attention to the truck and I was able to get within 60 or seventy yards of birds feeding on the field . I dropped a mag in the rifle and shot a pigeon at about 60 yards . I carried on around the field which is about 120 acres and managed to two more .

I thought right .lets have a go at decoying them . I parked the truck tight up against a tall hedgerow and sat in the passenger side front seat . I had put the three shot birds on prickers that I had cut out of the hedge and sat back and waited . After about 10 minutes a bird came in among the decoys and sat down about 60 yards from the truck . I shot this bird with the rifle and pricked it up with the others . This went on for the next 4 hours and I ended up shooting 18 pigeons with the trusty old Brno rim fire . I was really pleased with the way an improvised set can work with just a little bit of thought and field craft . I was home again by 13 -30 hrs as I have an eye test at 15 -30 hrs . Some times we have to improvise to get the best out of our shooting .

This field will be getting my undivided attention over the next couple of days when I shall be using my Beretta semi .

Harnser

Great result , decoying with a single shot.

I tell you what PC , there wasn't any runners . One bird I picked up had its head shot off ,the bullet had severed its neck . It must have been the most unfortunate pigeon in Norfolk . Two of the birds had entrails sucked out through the exit hole of the bullet . I was using eley sub sonics .

Harnser