SEALS ??

marsh man

Reading some of the posts on here about wildfowling around the wash area, Seals seem to get a mention fairly regular and I often wonder would they have a go at a dog retrieving a duck or goose as one of the chaps said a seal took his first goose . If we see a Seal it is quite a rare event although one do turn up on the river now and again , so have any of you wash fowlers had any problems with Seals fighting your dog ?

where I go on the wash it is not rare to have 30+ seals visible as the tide comes in some within 20 feet I have had no trouble with them but don't like them I think the most dangerous time is in the morning when you get right out and one is beached for the night. have seen dead ones and there would not be much of a fight they have a nasty set of teeth,

Yes a Labrador had to be put down after getting attacked by a seal on the Ythan estuary (NE scotland) which is my where I do most of my fowling..it happened a couple of seasons back now.

The dog had gone in to retrieve a shot bird when the seal attacked.

In water, a dog (even the strongest swimmers) do not stand a chance against even half grown seal.

I see seals very often when below the mhwm, I do not allow my dog into water deep enough for a seal to swim

Edited by AberFowl

They are pesky creatures. Not wildfowling related but when I used to do a lot of diving, we went on a trip off Pembrokeshire. Seals everywhere, friendly enough but you knew if they wanted they could ruin you day/life. They were playful but as has been said they have enormous power, could easily down a fully grown dog.

I have shot the Wash for 35 years and have seen thousands of seals over the years, only last week I had 10 around me 4 on the bank no more than 10 yards from me and 6 in the water, belive me once you move there isn't a seal to be seen they're off like a shot and I have never had any problem with them nor have I ever heard of anyone having any problems.

Thanks for your replies , as I said we don't have problems with Seals, but the one that was up our river a couple of weeks ago had a head that was twice the size of my dogs head and when the chap was saying one took his Goose it got me thinking what would have happened if a dog and a Seal were both going after the same bird from different directions.

But as House Boat was saying he have never known or heard of any being a problem so it must be a rare occurrence when something do happen.

I have been told of one incident but that is all i have heard about.

It is pretty normal to see them where i shoot. One creek in particular always has a pair that come and last on the low bank beside the bend, 50 yards from where i like to sit. Have seen 30+ out on a tide beside some of the bigger creeks. Got a few photos of them on my computer from last season.

For years all we saw were common seals on the N Norfolk coast and they were no problem slipping away as soon as they saw you, but now we mainly see grey seals and now they are a different story. They were the ones who killed the lab in Scotland and they are not scared when they see you. I always try to pick flighting places well away from them to avoid any risk to the dog.

Edited by anser2

A friend of mine's sister went canoeing of the NE of Scotland and she had her black cocker spaniel on the bow,the dog often went out like that if it was bonny, one day every seal of the beach followed them out and swam right next to the dog thrashing the water,it scared her and she came back in,she thinks if the dog had fallen in it'd been had it. She never took the dog again...

I dont know the age of you Wash fowlers, but when i was a youngster seals were shot in the Wash, for their pelts.

I have got a book here written by an old wash fisherman who was based out of Lynn. It in he recalls a tale of the old seal mincing boat on the wash. Circa mid 1970s i believe.

I have got a book here written by an old wash fisherman who was based out of Lynn. It in he recalls a tale of the old seal mincing boat on the wash. Circa mid 1970s i believe.

I know it was going on late 50s and into 60s. Even in those days the antis were about, i remember one boat being burnt out.

The lineham family also had fishing boats out of Fosdyke. In fact the cafe in the lay by was once the home of one of them. He had a catering business he run from there after his fishing days on the wash was cut short when he lost an arm in a capstan winch whilst out fishing. They were still shooting seals in 1974

Edited by ayano3