Would you rough shoot abroad?

Liamey

Not sure if this in the right area, hopefully so!

I have an idea that I may try to bring to fruition. Essentially, what would be your ideal rough shooting holiday? Do you get enough of it in the UK and therefore look for a more beach type holiday to relax. Would a rough shooting holiday appeal to anyone? What would you be willing to pay to shoot on almost limitless acres of land where you can literally roam without seeing another person? How about a variety of game including grouse,ptarmigan, rabbit with coyote hunting thrown in? How about staying in your own very cosy cabin far away from it all? What might your non shooting better half be interested in whilst you are in the field?

Thank you for taking the time to answer some of these questions!

What I would pay is hard to say as this would be based on the accommodation, area to shoot, game available and what is there to do in the evenings for the wife. I stayed in a lovely ex-keepers cottage in the South East of Scotland for a shooting holiday. I had a map from the esate that showed where I could go and all I had to do was let the game keeper know where I was roughly for H&S reasons even though I was only using a 12g. I was on my own then and it was amazing....

If it is a shooting holiday then I doubt the wife would come unless there was plenty to do in the area.... horse riding, shopping nice places to eat..... Now a lads shooting week or weekend retreat... now your talking..... The last time I went I paid £450 for a long weekend in very basic accommodation.... electric, running water and rustic heating. |Arrived Friday afternoon and left Monday mid-afternoon.

PS this was in 1994

Edited by NickB65

Thanks all so far for your comments. Interesting how many comments say that the wives wouldn't be interested lol. The downfall where I'm to is that there aren't many great shops that the fairer sex might like. It's a totally outdoors environment, something like nickb65 talks about from his time in Scotland.

I hear you Dazzjo about the dogs, and totally get it that people would like to use their own. This wouldn't be a problem if it were not for the small fact of 6 months quarantine on your way back home.

How do u pick/flush ur game over there? Have read about some using HPR's an pointers.

Do all rough shooters not need a dog. Possibly u would have to accompany them with ur dogs so all game is picked?

Think that could be ur problem, most rough shooters enjoy the craic with there mates and dogs rather than the actual sport itself.

Have heard there is some fantastic snipe shooting in some parts of canada.

The idea is good BUT there are a few minor hitches involved. Got to have wifi to comunicate back to base. Shipment of guns + kit Ect. Laws & rules ECT. The wife wouldn't be interested in sitting out in a praire somewhere but it all depends on things to do and I don't mean shopping. Eg like sight seeing and lounging around a pool with a book Ect. Lads weekend would be great with a BBQ. bit of an informal clay shoot. Night shooting would be a bit different with massive open area. Dont know about price but we just paid just over a thousand pounds for flights acomodation and half board for a week in Menorca. Nice hotel on the beach.

Yeah It might be a goer. I went up to a clay shoot out in Crete in the summer and managed to get a loan of a gun and shot a few sporting. So it can be done.

How do u pick/flush ur game over there? Have read about some using HPR's an pointers.

Do all rough shooters not need a dog. Possibly u would have to accompany them with ur dogs so all game is picked?

Think that could be ur problem, most rough shooters enjoy the craic with there mates and dogs rather than the actual sport itself.

Have heard there is some fantastic snipe shooting in some parts of canada.

I use GSPs but also have a ES. I think you might have hit the nail on the head with most going for the craic v. Actual sport, though I am sure there are some diehard hunters who would purely go for the sport.

The idea is good BUT there are a few minor hitches involved. Got to have wifi to comunicate back to base. Shipment of guns + kit Ect. Laws & rules ECT. The wife wouldn't be interested in sitting out in a praire somewhere but it all depends on things to do and I don't mean shopping. Eg like sight seeing and lounging around a pool with a book Ect. Lads weekend would be great with a BBQ. bit of an informal clay shoot. Night shooting would be a bit different with massive open area. Dont know about price but we just paid just over a thousand pounds for flights acomodation and half board for a week in Menorca. Nice hotel on the beach.

Yeah It might be a goer. I went up to a clay shoot out in Crete in the summer and managed to get a loan of a gun and shot a few sporting. So it can be done.

I hear you with those pesky glitches. Supplying the firearms wouldn't be an issue and probably save the hassle of shipping etc. however, there are those that quite rightly like to use their own firearm which is understandable. Not sure of the prices in the UK but sounds like you got an awesome deal in Menorca. Setting up informal clay shoots and sight seeing is definitely not a problem.

Going to think through a little more as definitely could pull things together for a lads holiday, but was trying to do something a little more inclusive for families. Wifi is for the residential areas, a satellite phone would be used in the back country as there is no cell service there.

The problem u will have with ur lads holiday idea (atleast from UK shooters, or the shooters i know) is the distance/length and price of the plane fare. i doubt most rough shooters could gather enough brownie points of the mrs to swing a lads trip shooting in canada. Wknd on bevy in spain or few days shooting elswhere in UK but not travelling alfway across the world

I think most if had that sort of money to spend woul just head up north?/devon etc to a cabin/cottage somewhere and pay for a couple of days rough/mini driven shooting over there own dogs, so even thou the shooting would be dearer here compared to wot ur offering it would still be cheaper as no air flight

Would there be a market for other canadians/americans? Or do u have a lot of free hunting on public land for locals?

Possibly big game/deer hunting may appeal more to uk shooters?

The problem u will have with ur lads holiday idea (atleast from UK shooters, or the shooters i know) is the distance/length and price of the plane fare. i doubt most rough shooters could gather enough brownie points of the mrs to swing a lads trip shooting in canada. Wknd on bevy in spain or few days shooting elswhere in UK but not travelling alfway across the world

I think most if had that sort of money to spend woul just head up north?/devon etc to a cabin/cottage somewhere and pay for a couple of days rough/mini driven shooting over there own dogs, so even thou the shooting would be dearer here compared to wot ur offering it would still be cheaper as no air flight

Would there be a market for other canadians/americans? Or do u have a lot of free hunting on public land for locals?

Possibly big game/deer hunting may appeal more to uk shooters?

Hey scotslad,

You have a good point with the airfare. You also make a good point with other types of hunting I.e. Bear, moose should someone be able to save up enough elusive missus brownie points lol. Might have to adapt to two entirely different markets. I guess it's like anything, if it's in your own back yard ( moose and bear) you tend to sometimes overlook it. I guess I may have gone tunnelled visioned with the grouse on vast expanses of land. Thank you for the great input!

I find this thread quite interesting. Just out of interest, roughly where are you in Canada? It’s a massive country.

This idea can be broken up into its component parts.

Journey. Which airport would we fly to?

Accommodation

Facilities

Services

Activities / what there is to do around the area.

Local Rules and regs regarding weapons use, game seasons Ect

I posed the question to wife and she said that she wouldn't mind going and doing a bit of sightseeing BUT she ain’t going to sit around on her own getting bored whilst I go off wandering around shooting.

It would depend on what time of year we are talking about and what the weather would be like.

I find this thread quite interesting. Just out of interest, roughly where are you in Canada? It’s a massive country.

This idea can be broken up into its component parts.

Journey. Which airport would we fly to?

Accommodation

Facilities

Services

Activities / what there is to do around the area.

Local Rules and regs regarding weapons use, game seasons Ect

I posed the question to wife and she said that she wouldn't mind going and doing a bit of sightseeing BUT she ain’t going to sit around on her own getting bored whilst I go off wandering around shooting.

It would depend on what time of year we are talking about and what the weather would be like.

I'm based in Newfoundland which is as close as you can get to the UK. I'm close to Deer Lake on the West Coast which is an international airport, but mostly serviced from St. John's or Halifax in Nova Scotia. Small game as well as large dates generally range from mid September to December. During the summer there is plenty of salmon fishing to be had at many great rivers.

Newfoundland is a sight seeing paradise from icebergs to wildlife. Fantastic for rambling, hiking, mountain biking, hunting, quading, snowmobiling and so on. Accommodations would be a remote cabin in the back woods miles from anywhere with the neighbours comprising of moose, black bear, coyote etc. we do not have any snakes which is a bonus!