Wirehaired Vizsla

Kevinjohnson34

I have a dog of 8 months and am now looking for a bitch puppy to go with him, here's the problem there are not many litters around and when they do crop up there always seems to be endorsements on their pedigree to stop you breeding them, the second problem I'm having is the last 2 litters I've been to see both breeders have said that I can reserve a puppy with a deposit but they will not let you choose which puppy you want and that they will allocate puppies to what they perceive is the right people once they get to 8 weeks old and that is putting me off, these puppy's are not cheap £800-£1000 is this a common thing within the gundog group or just this breed.

Could you go back to the breeder of your dog and ask his advice for a recommended breeder that is not to closely related to your dog if you wish to breed. Normally these breeders all know each other. You need to be honest if you wish to breed with yours and then you could possibly get a bitch without the breeding restriction on.

checked epupz and 2 of those litters are smooth coats and i'm looking for wirehaired and the other I have already looked at, the price these breeders are asking is about average and I have been up front about the reason for wanting a bitch I may not even want to breed with them but would like the option if I decide to and you can get the restrictions lifted at a later date after the dogs have had various health checks if the breeder agrees, it is mainly this bit about be allocated a puppy rather than choosing one that is putting me off but it does seem to be quite a common thing with the wirehaired variety as there are so few about whereas the smooth coats you have loads to choose from so it doesn't seem to happen suppose it is sellers market vs buyers market

one of those litters has breeding restrictions that the breeder has said she won't lift under any circumstances so that is out and one is cornwall which would mean visiting at the weekend and due to work commitments I can't do that for a few weeks and another is the litter I am going to see tomorrow with the breeder that wants to "allocate" puppies to people.

I look on all sorts of websites daily looking for new litters to come up

I've sent you a PM with some info.

I wouldn't be looking to buy anything advertised on epupz or any other of the similar sites. I don't like breed restrictions on pups & I'd never do it myself but I can sort of understand why people do it. You've got to feel that you can trust the person selling you the pup in the first place, it's a lot to do when you're putting 1k out to buy something in the first place.

I just bought my first golden retriever. I've been looking for the right one for about 18months and now I've got onewith exceptional breeding for a goldie (33 ftch's and ftw's in the pedigree and many in the first 3 generations), cost a penny or two as well . I too was vetted rigorously by people who had breed quality working golden retrievers, people who I knew had the quality I wanted and to be honest I didn't mind. I think it far more respectable and responsible than people who breed and see pounds signs. There were 7 pups in the litter that I got mine from and I took the last, before the breeder agreed to sell it to me she took serious consideration. There are clauses like health checks at 12months and consulation before breeding but to be honest I think thats a good thing.

I had no problems with the vetting from the various breeders because at the end of the day I know have what I want and I will be as strict when I consider my goldies future.

I have no problem with being vetted and I totally agree with keeping the breed healthy and would happily buy a puppy with restrictions providing the breeder gave assurances that they would lift the restrictions upon proof of appropriate health checks in the future, my concern is driving a 8 hour round trip (which i have no problem with for the right dog) handing over a £200 deposit and not being able to reserve a puppy that I particularly like the look of and being "allocated" one and only finding out which one when I go to collect it

I have no problem with being vetted and I totally agree with keeping the breed healthy and would happily buy a puppy with restrictions providing the breeder gave assurances that they would lift the restrictions upon proof of appropriate health checks in the future, my concern is driving a 8 hour round trip (which i have no problem with for the right dog) handing over a £200 deposit and not being able to reserve a puppy that I particularly like the look of and being "allocated" one and only finding out which one when I go to collect it

Fair enough, I think you should definately have the choice if there is a choice to be had.

I want to pick my own pup, even if it's from a choice of two! It's your cash and your dog so keep looking.

I'll be wanting another WHV in the next year or so and I'll only be looking at two kennels - one is in this country and the other isn't.

Edited by Paul T

I couldn't think of breeding using a stud that was only 8 months old at present and as yet unproven and not even mature in temperament or physical stature? For that reason alone and personally speaking if I was selling what you want (and I am not) I shouldn't take your cash. I assume that's what your meaning when you say "to go with" and I respect the other breeders "excuses?".