Wirehaired Vizsla

Kevinjohnson34

Or people could just be responsible and stop breeding dogs for sentamental reasons when the proper checks have not been done and they don't have homes for the puppy's.

I've just got a puppy and have been waiting quite a while for the right breeder. All of the puppy's were spoken for before they were born and parents hip, elbow, vwd amd eye tested.

I've seen puppy's of the same breed advertised before they were conceived, when they were born and still being advertised when they were 14-16 weeks old for £750 without health checks.

For those seem to feel ok with having a go at me for choosing a bitch when my dog is only 8 months old I think you have the wrong end of the stick, I don't even know if I want to breed with them I have my first vizsla and have never had a dog like him awesome doesn't come close to discribing him, I have always had two dogs but lost my 14 year old boy a few weeks ago and so am looking for another, I would only consider having a litter in a couple of years if both animals were healthy and I thought that there puppies would be a credit to there breed so that someone else could get the same enjoyment from this wonderful breed as I am, if I don't end up having a litter with them then they will still be cherished as much as they are now until the end of their days

If I understand you correctly and the 8 month dog is your first vizsla could you not stick with him alone for now? 8 months is very young for a viz in training in my opinion and experience, not having a pop mate just what I would do, either way you should be able to pick your pup!!

I found in the past that some viz breeders as with other breeders can be right stuck up ****, after some time and searching I found the right breeders for me!

Good luck anyway

that's why breeders are putting restrictions on them too many people breeding dogs that arnt up to the breed standard .they usually lift the restrictions if they have been hip scored .I have a litter due and they will be sold with restrictions on

This is one of the problems "breed standards" if the dog and bitch are an inch too small for the standard you would not allow them to breed even though they may be brilliant workers.It is because of breed standards that so many pedigree dogs are in the state they are in.I have two Labrador bitches that are good working gundogs but they are not fat enough to win a dog show.Working breeds should be bred for working ability not how pretty they are

This is one of the problems "breed standards" if the dog and bitch are an inch too small for the standard you would not allow them to breed even though they may be brilliant workers.It is because of breed standards that so many pedigree dogs are in the state they are in.I have two Labrador bitches that are good working gundogs but they are not fat enough to win a dog show.Working breeds should be bred for working ability not how pretty they are

I think its mostly to do with health problems like hip displasia and night blindness etc than if a dog is slim or not quite tall enough.

cocker boy thanks for telling me what's on my mind and what Will end up doing regardless and while your at it could you tell me the lottery numbers for this week, how dare you presume to tell me what I am going to do you don't even know me because if you did you would know that the heath and well-being of all the animals I own comes before anything else and as I have said repeatedly I have no problems with the restrictions on breeding as foremost my dogs would be pets/companions/workers my issue is not being able to choose the puppy I want.

kevin,

My WHV is from Madilor in sussex.

http://www.madilor.co.uk/#

I know it isn't exactly 'close' location wise but isn't too bad. They are down near Gatwick. Lori was great. We didn't have any restrictions that I can remember, though we had no intentions of breeding anyway. The bitch was Pointin if I remember correctly and the father was from Zolmadi (imported frozen semen), though I don't have the papers in front of me to confirm all of that. Madilor is involved in the breed club and various WHV activities so drop her a line and see what is going on.

thanks

rick

I have a dog of 8 months and am now looking for a bitch puppy to go with him, here's the problem there are not many litters around and when they do crop up there always seems to be endorsements on their pedigree to stop you breeding them, the second problem I'm having is the last 2 litters I've been to see both breeders have said that I can reserve a puppy with a deposit but they will not let you choose which puppy you want and that they will allocate puppies to what they perceive is the right people once they get to 8 weeks old and that is putting me off, these puppy's are not cheap £800-£1000 is this a common thing within the gundog group or just this breed.

I know exactly what you mean - I had the same experience, which to be honest has put me off. I agree with vetting with the objective of assuring the dog is going to a good, sensible and responsible owner, but when it becomes overly intrusive and verging on the patronising I think a quick course in people skills may be needed combined with

Being allocated a pup is, for me, ridiculous and shows little understanding of someone who genuinely wants a dog to do what is was born to do - work to the gun. I love this breed but for me I have found the high number of breeders of the 'showy' type rather than genuine working dogs slightly off putting. A pity and ultimately potentially bad for the breed, but i suppose those that are into showing would disagree.