Pigeon biltong

FalconFN

Ah this has rekindled my interest in making a biltong box, I'd seen that link before.

I'm guessing you could get some fine fly screen and staple inside box to cover the holes from any nasties getting in.

Has anyone built one yet, any pictures?

I'm not too fussed about fly screens and the like as I tend to make it in colder weather and there are no flies about. As long as you have some dry air moving past it and it is properly salted then nothing will spoil the meat - the point of curing is to desiccate the bacteria in and on the meat so as long as it's dry I don't bother covering it.

I'm not too fussed about fly screens and the like as I tend to make it in colder weather and there are no flies about. As long as you have some dry air moving past it and it is properly salted then nothing will spoil the meat - the point of curing is to desiccate the bacteria in and on the meat so as long as it's dry I don't bother covering it.

There are some pictures in the link:

http://www.biltongbox.com/biltong/

You can cover the ventilation holes with fly screen.

Well, it's done. Unfortunately there's only 2 breasts left as the other two seem to have disappeared during the frequent and thorough quality control testing process....

It is really, really good, very similar in appearance to beef but without the coarse grain or fat, a different, finer texture and very slight birdy/gamey taste. It is very easy to eat and very, very tastey, I can't believe I've not done it before.

I can urge you all to give it a go as it is most definately going to be an ongoing thing for me.

I had a nice walk out this morning with my hammer gun and shot a hen pheasant (flushed and retrieved from thick cover by my cocker) so may well give that a go too.

post-62128-0-58825200-1413571480_thumb.jpg

Heres a few pics of what I used, about £30 to build out of a storage box, cpu fan, and a few basic bits and pieces, all held together with a mix of hot melt glue, self tappers and food grade silicon sealant.

I use a 60w incandescent fire glow bulb below a perforated steel baking tray to create convection and a cpu fan to create a constant airflow.

I bodged it all together in a day, It processes 2kg of prime silverside in about 5-7 days.

Meat is hung off the wire rods, and air drawn thru the hanging strips and expelled out the top by the fan. The bake tray is wipe clean, and I put a piece of newspaper on the ply floor to catch any juices that make it through the tray holes.

Admittedly and unashamedly a bodge job, but it works a treat & It's kept me in biltong since February this year, its easy to clean and cheap to make and run.