Best camouflage in RW Smock?

karlbird

Decided I need a better jacket for shooting, mostly wild fowling on the Wash and also stalking/pigeon shooting.

I'm trying to get one for all rather than having a garage full of jackets. I have pretty much decided on the Rivers West Field Pro - but now I reach a difficult decision. I wanted it in Max-4 but they don't do it apparently.

So, my choices are Olive Green, Realtree Max-1 and Mossy Oak Duck Blind.

Thoughts from those who know the area please?

Out of your three choices I would go for the Mossy Oak Duck blind. I would say its difficult to get effective camo with just one jacket. The marsh on the Wash is pretty green in September , but much more yellowish once the plants start to die back. Having 2 or more jackets also has the advantage of giving you a spare if you get one wet. Do not neccerly go for the most expensive. I got a Redhead "duck dry " jacket from the USA for around £200 5 years ago and its been pretty usless at keeping the water out and is falling to bits, but I got a waterproof cheap fleece for £45.00 three years ago and its brilliant and yet to let any water in.

Does the actual pattern or colour matter that much. I had the max 4 jarrett and now wear have an old dpm gortex and sometimes wear a medium to pale blue rab vaporise jacket and sit next to two springers one black and white and one liver and white. The ducks don't mind that much as long as we sit still.

Karl,

If it's any help, I did a simple (and not very scientific) test last winter, as I had two Rivers West Field Pro jackets I'd ordered, one in Realtree AP and the other in Duck Blind, meaning to send the one back I didn't like.

I detached the hood from each jacket, and took them out for a walk towards dusk with the dog. I partly concealed each hood in a variety of backgrounds (hedge, oilseed rape drilled into stubble, dried grassy bank, and reeds), and then turned round and walked off thirty or forty paces. When I turned back to look for the hoods, I found that the Duck Blind stood out clearly, whereas the AP blended in much better against all backgrounds. It wasn't very scientific, as I say, because I had a pretty good idea where they were, but in the rape, I actually walked right past the AP hood without seeing it!

As the others have said, if you sit still enough, and the shade of your clothing isn't too much of a contrast with your background, it probably doesn't matter what you wear too much - look at photos of the old wildfowlers, who sported old Army greatcoats, oilskins, and tweeds. I think the trouble with a lot of the "photo realistic" camo patterns is that (a) they're often based on US habitats, where the vegetation is sometimes very different - they seem to have too much white and cream in them, and (b) they are too background-specific. I guess the best thing would be either not to worry about it much at all,and just sit very still, or wear military camo patterns, which are designed to blend in and break up shape against a variety of backgrounds. The trouble with that is that you can end up looking like some "Army- barmy" paramilitary!

Marchwood, thanks for that - hopefully I have gone for the right one then.

I am in the forces and have the gear from that, but whilst the pattern is good, the clothing is mostly **** compared to what's on civvy street. Plus, I wear it to work so why would I want to wear it for shooting too!