mixing decoys

scott/misty

Always put a lucky crow out with the pigeons if I've shot one.

It's possibly an unlucky crow if you have shot it.

On a more helpful note (to the OP) I do put crow and pigeon decoys out when both are feeding in the field I am shooting but I never mix them up in the pattern.

you are opening a can of worms..........this topic is done very couple of months !...and there are a lot of boys that will larf their socks off at you and if allowed they would call you names............. :mad:

HAVING SAID THAT....i do put a crow out,,,,as said by PC and JD............but what i like to do is get my boot polish and buff it up till it shines.......i did that a few years ago and put it out on the grass infront of the dog kennels.....and they went loopy !!.........if i did that with an ordinary decoy...they would do nothing...

suck it and see......

let us know how you get on :good:

• 4 weeks later...

I usually stick a couple of full body crow deeks out anything between 30 and 100 yds from the main pattern. I think it can help occasionally when pigeons are a bit wary of an area. Pigeons know what crows are like, and if the crows are down on the deck it must be safe to swing in low mustn't it ? Also, as said earlier here, if crows come close enough to shoot, then at least you can be confident in your hide. Crows will usually suss you faster than just about anything else with wings.

Bagging the odd few crows that drift in close for a look-see is always a bonus too.

A couple of weeks ago, the pigeons were simply not playing ball, but the crows came for a look. I bagged a couple and added them to my plastics, then more came, then more. Ended the day with only 3 pigeons :( but made up for that with a total of 43 crows :)

This was whilst set up under a large over-hanging lime tree in the middle of a field of stubble. Pigeon deeks out one side of me and crows out on the other side, about 80 yds from the main pattern. The crows seemed to almost hover, some 40 to 50 yds down-wind of the crow deeks 'sussing them out'. This meant they almost stopped, directly above and in front of me. Not a good thing to do if I have the gun out and you're a crow :)

Ref Bobba nd Post # 7 Dead crows face down as decoy.

I have noticed this on many occasions.A crow shot dead and collapsing onto the deck doesn't attract attention,usually the opposite, but one hard hit and going into the ' death glide ' and then grounding will invariably land as Bobba decribes.face down,wings outstretched.This,for unknown reasons,is a very attractive proposition,and in they come,often to settle.Regretably this occurrs well out of range ! Usefull tip.