Patterned my .410 tonight ( with pics )

Guest stevo

Evening all .

just got back from farm after a quick patterning session with the .410 I wanted to see what I could expect from this little calibre , and I have to admit I was quite chuffed to say the least . I picked up a brand new Baikal stealth .410 on Monday , did start off with a second-hand Mossberg 500 hush power .410 , but I had a truck load of cycling issues with it so it went back and I went for a good old fashioned single barrel ( built like a tank ) Baikal , anyway I have spent the past couple of evening for about an hour at a time just getting used to it , as for anyone that has not used a moderated shotgun , the point of aim is quite different from anything else , so a bit of practice before you try it on live quarry is in order .

I tried to different shells , a Eley 12.5 gram in # 6 and a Eley 18 gram 3" magnum also in # 6

the 12.5 gram was at 25 yrds

and the 18 gram at 30 yrds

please excuse my point of aim as in still getting used to it , but im very nearly spot on with it .:-)

first picture the Eley 12.5 gram size 6 @25 yrds

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/tj8k4ga8dvlgbih/AACWerGYO8PmqflZV_emq0taa

second picture Eley 18 gram size 6 @30 yrds

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/7x3q98dcdm8kbqh/AAChlp0myOs-cM5SdbSlUO07a

I must say im over the moon with it !

Edited by stevo

eley trap...there my next to try Rob . im having a bit of a hard time getting hold of them at the min , I will ask my RFD to get me a slab next time I go in .

Edited by stevo

My Pedretti hushpower is my most used guns can kill pigeons rabbits snd hears easy with the cartridges I mention @25 yards with out even thinking twice I pick up a brand new mossberg hushpower on saturday which is not costing me a penny wich is a bonus plus means I will trying both out against each other

i had a deal with the mossy im getting got a phone call from the gun shop asking could i pop in when i get a free moment poped in and ask if i would give a price to cut his hedges down in hight and some off the side as he knows that in a arborist by trade and have cut the odd tree down for him in the past gave a price looked around his guns while i was there and said oh you got a hushpower in stock he said yes its brand new rob i then said i have been thinking of getting one for a while now then he said sort my hedges out and you can have that for payment so 4 mabye 5 hours work for it seems a good deal for me

Edited by littlerob

Try eley trap in size 7'5 18g or the fiocchi 19g size 7.5 yje results are huge and gives cleaner kills never shoot anytiging else in .410 now

Rob do you prefer the #7.5 shot over all other shot size out of the 410 i am just going to start loading some up i will probably load a handful of different shot size to test anyway

With size 7'5 shot in .410 you get more pellet count most of the time with a.410 its not the range thats the probelm its with less pellets/shot your patten becomes gappy quicker and thats why people slate .410 as they can understand why they miss or dont archive clean kills for

Edited by littlerob

I am not too sure about what you see on paper and more smaller pellets. You see what I do find is I get a few well hit wounded and on examination more pellets wouldn't have helped at the given choke but a few lucky head and necks might. I wonder as there is a balance of pellets, size of the tube, shot count and energy / range to take into account in balance to each other? Not just more pellets = more hits. I do use 7 1/2 through the 12 in light loads and have to say in practice it kills a lot better for an extra 3 grms and I doubt its the extra shot count.